Where did my brake pressure go?

6 replies to this topic
  • BlueBeast400

Posted April 24, 2015 - 04:33 PM

I reverse bled my rear brakes today and it basically has no pressure against the rotor now. I bled it again just to make sure all the air was out and still no pressure. They worked just fine before. Any suggestions?

• patrick2wd

Posted April 24, 2015 - 10:37 PM

start again, topping up from the  top end working down,

if possible use a suction/ vacuum device to "suck" the oil out,

• DonnieD

Posted April 26, 2015 - 04:15 PM

Not sure what reverse bleed is. But as mentioned those vacumns lime mtyvac work great. And if there is a rubber grommets in the reservoir, try taking that out. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueBeast400

Posted April 26, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Reverse bleeding is when you push the fluid through the caliper up to the reservoir. I used a syringe plunger and flushed out the old till new fluid filled up the reservoir. I flushed it again the traditional way from the reservoir down through the caliper. It is better now, but still not like it was. what does the rubber grommet do?   

• ThumpMe

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:38 AM

I have had mixed results using a Mighty Vac suction gun. Sometimes I cannot get them to work on bike systems. Not sure why...think they are to powerful and sometimes pull the caliper cups back?

It sounds like there is a little "stuck" bubble of air somewhere in the system.

Take a small combination wrench or screw driver and tap lightly all along the caliper, line, and master cylinder to try and help break it loose.

Sometimes that works sometimes not.

Also I have found when reverse bleeding, especially on the older style FRONT lines that run down under the front caliper then up to the master I sometimes have to empty the line completely and then re-fill as if you get a bubble stuck in that lower section it is darn hard to push it back out. Starting over again when empty and pushing fluid up will usually clear it.

• DonnieD

Posted April 28, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Reverse bleeding is when you push the fluid through the caliper up to the reservoir. I used a syringe plunger and flushed out the old till new fluid filled up the reservoir. I flushed it again the traditional way from the reservoir down through the caliper. It is better now, but still not like it was. what does the rubber grommet do?   

Good question that I don't have the answer to...and really can't remember if the WR has it since mine didn't give me any trouble. I used the Mityvac. my street bike has the grommet and costed me an hour of wasted time until I removed that rubber grommet. I like the Mityvac idea but that particular brand lacks in quality. Could have at least provided a case for all the pieces. 

• BlueBeast400

Posted April 28, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Good question that I don't have the answer to...and really can't remember if the WR has it since mine didn't give me any trouble. I used the Mityvac. my street bike has the grommet and costed me an hour of wasted time until I removed that rubber grommet. I like the Mityvac idea but that particular brand lacks in quality. Could have at least provided a case for all the pieces. 

Mine does have the rubber grommet. So your saying it made it easier without the grommet?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.