Advantages/drawbacks to making your bike street legal.

22 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted May 02, 2015 - 09:47 PM

In CA it really helps to connect trails to roads and makes for great loop options. Camping off a dirt bike is also dreamy.

It can help us get around the green sticker/ red sticker problem too. For example a red sticker WR 2003/04 with a plate can be ridden year round but without it it is only in red sticker season. You can also use a sumo on pavement without taking it to the track. You spend more on insurance and registration but is well worth it to me. I'm on my 3rd plated dirt bike.

This. I'd consider dual registering, but seeing as it would be a red sticker it would just make things confusing with no real benefits. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted May 02, 2015 - 10:30 PM

If you're converting your ORV in WA to CYC then you will need to pay both the street tabs and ORV tabs on the bike for as long as you own it. Dirt bikes on long stretches of pavement aren't comfortable. D/S kit is anywhere from $500-$1,000 plus the $100 inspection fee. When you add all these fees up you should make damn sure you plan to keep the bike for years.  

I ride my ORV on roads (to connect trails) in areas where police don't expect to see dirt bikes. Never been a problem. 

• Wristrockit

Posted May 03, 2015 - 05:38 AM

If you're converting your ORV in WA to CYC then you will need to pay both the street tabs and ORV tabs on the bike for as long as you own it. Dirt bikes on long stretches of pavement aren't comfortable. D/S kit is anywhere from $500-$1,000 plus the $100 inspection fee. When you add all these fees up you should make damn sure you plan to keep the bike for years.  

I ride my ORV on roads (to connect trails) in areas where police don't expect to see dirt bikes. Never been a problem. 

Dual sport kit?  My lighting kit was $168.00.  And yes, I'll have to keep both sets of tabs up on it.  If I don't think it's worth it after a few years, I'll just convert it back to ORV only.  And my thinking is, if you're in an area where there are roads connecting trails that dirt bikes might be on, the local police just might be there looking for you.  I will be in areas just like that and I don't want to have to worry about the police.  And, it would be nice to be able to park my bike outside a little Mom and Pop greasy spoon w/o worrying about the police messing with me.  $300.00 is cheap insurance against any kind of ticket in my mind.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.