Front Sprocket Question

3 replies to this topic
  • Oregon_Thumper

Posted February 14, 2002 - 07:23 AM

I am looking to get a new 13 tooth front sprocket, but have heard that if you buy one new sprocket and put it on it can seriously shorted the life of your chain. I have a friend that has an 13 tooth Answer front sprocket for sale, but don't want to have to buy a new chain in a month as well. Should I get the sprocket or just buy a new sprocket chain combo from somewhere?
Thanks

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 14, 2002 - 07:43 AM

In my experience........correct me if I am wrong guys.....
It is quite the opposite.
If the sprocket is new and the chain is old , the sprocket will where to be equal with the chain only in an accelerated time frame.
This is because the chain has been stretched already and does not fit the sprocket. Thus it will wear the sprocket.
I keep 3 diff front sprockets in my tool box so I can switch quickly for changing riding conditions. It is much cheaper than changing the rear sprocket and I surely cannot afford a whole rear wheel setup for quick changes. So the 3 for 30bucks sure makes sense to me!
$.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • txthumper

Posted February 14, 2002 - 12:19 PM

it wont hurt the chain..i go through 3 or more sprockets to 1 o-ring chain..if i had to replace my chain each time my front sprocket wore out then i couldnt afford any goodies for my bike :) :D

• Dan_YZF

Posted February 14, 2002 - 05:04 PM

I'm in the same boat

3 front sprockets in the toolbox, 13,14 15 teeth, to match riding condition

don't worry, if your chain is stretched a bit the front sprocket will wear fast enough to match the chain without hurting the chain.

but to put a brand new expensive X-ring chain over worn front sprocket will hurt your chain too fast to make sense when considering front sprocket price vs chain price.

Don't let your front sprocket(s) wear out too much and let's go

My 2 cents

Dan

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.