08 vs 13 WR450 used options locally

10 replies to this topic
  • RBracing

Posted April 20, 2015 - 12:29 PM

Looking at the WR's an option for mostly trail riding is there any huge differences to justify just over $2400 in asking price for the 2013 over the 2008?

Also looks like the 13 gained almost 30lbs? Thanks

• stevethe

Posted April 20, 2015 - 01:56 PM

The 12's up are a new frame with the same motor injected. It appears they did gain a little weight.
I like the older versions with mods to the carb and you must replace the front fork base valves as with them stock the forks are the worst made.

• JMundy

Posted April 20, 2015 - 03:33 PM

Depends on what you are wanting to do to the bike.  If you dont mind getting dirty and really getting into the bike, id go for a 2008.  

Fuel injection is nice but you can get the '08 to perform very similar with carb mods and proper jetting.  Cost  -  Roughly  $150

Forks are the hardest part to get right, easiest sounds like getting 2006 (i think thats the right year) yz450 forks swapped in. Cost about $500 on ebay for a good set, and then another $400 for those revalved / sprung for your weight.  You should be able to sell your WR450 forks for $250

So costs to make the 08 similar or better than the 13 is ROUGHLY  $850.  Alot less than $2400.  

Posted April 20, 2015 - 06:15 PM

IMO, although nice, the FI isn't the deal breaker unless you want to be able to change mapping. They both weigh close to the same but the 12's and newer do feel lighter and more nimble when riding. Electric start on the newer ones are a little more touchy. Both are good bikes.

• RBracing

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:18 PM

The 08 has been re-valved with race-tech components. Looks to be well maintained by a mechanic.

I don't mind doing some work on it my self but it might be well sorted already. Thanks for the input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • offrd beatr

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:21 PM

The suspension on the '13 is worth it. Night and day better bike if you are aggressive at all. Chassis dynamics are also very much improved. Injection makes tuning a couple buttons away instead of tearing the carb out to tinker with it everytime you want to change something.

Edited by offrd beatr, April 20, 2015 - 07:24 PM.

• luckyone24

Posted April 21, 2015 - 02:35 AM

1. buy the 2013 if you can afford it .( don't forget to get the programmer + comp ecu in deal)
  2. no worries on what was and wasn't maintained (its new)
  3. no carb cleaning or changes to worry about. (just plug and tune)

• stevethe

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:10 AM

The 08 has been re-valved with race-tech components. Looks to be well maintained by a mechanic.

I don't mind doing some work on it my self but it might be well sorted already. Thanks for the input.

The racetech gold valves fixes the horrible bad forks. :ride:  Make sure the carb has a jet kit and a smog block off kit. Send the carb to Zip Ty and get the emulsion tube mods and an adjustable leak jet and your really set. :thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:49 AM

Buy the '08 and save money, which you put in to top-notch maintenence, tires, etc.

If you get the '13 your will need to invest in the GYTR kit, and GYTR tuner box, so you can get it to run cool and not stall out.

The '13 has smaller ergos, and handles more quickly over the pre '12 models.

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 09, 2015 - 11:05 PM

Stevethe
What is a smog block off kit ?

• stevethe

Posted May 10, 2015 - 04:53 AM

Stevethe
What is a smog block off kit ?

Yamaha GYTR makes one. It comes with a smog block off kit, a jet kit and instructions for pulling the pea shooter out of the exhaust pipe and restriction from the top of the air box.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.