2012+ Magnetic Drain Plug

3 replies to this topic
  • presidio

Posted April 19, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Can anybody point me to a good Magnetic Oil Drain Plug for the 2012+ WR450? 

I cannot find anything that notes the size of the bolt.  Next time I change my oil I will take one of the 2 drain bolts (same size) to the hardware store to get it spec'd.  I've had good luck with my Moose ones in the steel frame WRs.

generic pic of a magnetic drain plug to spice up the thread... thank you in advance for any input / replies!

subcat-magnetic-oil-plug.jpg

• mch

Posted April 21, 2015 - 12:49 PM

I had bought one off of e-bay from China that was nice (and said it would fit), however it was the wrong size (m10).  I then asked the seller if he had one that was "M8x1.25x16.6," which seems like an odd size.  He said he had one that is "M8x1.25x20" which I thought might be a little long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted April 21, 2015 - 05:24 PM

You guys might want to be cautious of the China drain bolts.

I had one in my sons WR450 and it broke in half and luckily I got it out with a pick.

I believe Zip Ty products has a 6061 aluminuim one.

• presidio

Posted April 21, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Zip Ty sells two M8 x 1.25 bolts.  I assume it's a 1.25 pitch?  Both oil drain bolts are the same size on the bike. 

M8 x 1.25 x 12mm - this one is for the "YZF, RMZ, and quads"

http://www.ziptyraci...tic-drain-bolt/

M8 x 1.25 x 20mm - this one is for some CRF models

http://www.ziptyraci...tic-drain-bolt/

I don't know if the bike calls for the 12mm or 20mm length..?

Edited by presidio, April 21, 2015 - 08:34 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.