Clutch not so wet

Yamaha WR450F 2005

3 replies to this topic
  • flipperz

Posted April 17, 2015 - 01:11 PM

WR450 - 2005

My clutch gave out, it seemed to have overheated, a lot of smoke when I took it apart.  I took it apart without draining the oil and only a little bit of oil came out when I opened the clutch cover.  My buddy claims it should have been full of Oil.  The owners manual says to drain the oil first before changing the clutch, so there is every indication there should have been a lot of oil in there, the clutch was bearly wet of oil when I took it out.  I did check the oil level by running for a mintue and check the stick, it was at 75% full.   The owners manual doesn't indicate how much oil should be there, the instructions are to drain it before opening up the clutch.

I need your advise ...   maybe I have a plugged line ?

Edited by flipperz, April 17, 2015 - 01:13 PM.

• stevethe

Posted April 17, 2015 - 01:15 PM

WR450 - 2005

My clutch gave out, it seemed to have overheated, a lot of smoke when I took it apart.  I took it apart without draining the oil and only a little bit of oil came out when I opened the clutch cover.  My buddy claims it should have been full of Oil.  The owners manual says to drain the oil first before changing the clutch, so there is every indication there should have been a lot of oil in there, the clutch was bearly wet of oil when I took it out.  I did check the oil level by running for a mintue and check the stick, it was at 75% full.   The owners manual doesn't indicate how much oil should be there, the instructions are to drain it before opening up the clutch.

I need your advise ...   maybe I have a plugged line ?

Don't think so. I have the 07-11 models and you can change a clutch and not drain the oil on the side stand. Normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flipperz

Posted April 17, 2015 - 01:35 PM

My buddy has KTM anyway, can't trust em... :rolleyes:    Great, I will go with that then, thanks !

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2015 - 01:36 PM

The bike is a dry sump oiling system.  There is very little oil running around in the crankcases while operating, since it's picked up and sent back to the tank in your frame faster than it gets there.  The clutch itself is directly pressure oiled through the center of the main shaft, but that oil is metered by the fit of the long inner push rod, so the assembly generally doesn't look very wet when you open it up.

On the steel frame models such as yours, oil will migrate down to the sump over a few days time due to the effect of gravity by leaking out around the oil pump shaft.  If you had let it sit all week before working on it, you would have seen something different. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2005 WR450 won't idle without choke even when hot by spargules

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Economical 2005-6 WR450 AIS removal - last post by DeepPurplishBlue

Economical 2005-6 WR450 AIS removal

Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Just got my first WR450 - 2005 by graytshirt

• Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2005 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2005
  • * * * * -
  • 22 reviews
  • Last review by Kalamazoo
  • On December 15, 2016

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.