2001 yz 426 rebuild.

3 replies to this topic
  • islandkawi

Posted April 16, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hello all,

I've just picked up two 426's not running. I've just shattered my foot and need a project and these came a long for a cheap buck. 

Does anyone have any tips or knowledge of these bikes before I dive into them? I'm picking them up tonight. Is there anyway of making them easier to start? Where is the best place to pick up parts for these things?

Appreciate the help folks.

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2015 - 06:36 PM

The simplest way to make them easy to start is to keep a fresh plug in them, get the carb tuned correctly, especially on the idle circuit, and to understand exactly what the right starting drill is.

You can also install an aftermarket exhaust cam with the automatic decompression system built in. That simplifies the drill, but the carb and good ignition are still the biggest things.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 17, 2015 - 02:51 AM

New exhaust cam with auto decomp. Is key for an easy start on the 426!!

• dank08

Posted April 20, 2015 - 01:35 PM

Hey there,

I have a 2001 yz426 that I'm currently working on.  It had been running pretty well the last few rides, but I went to fire it up the other day(it didn't want to start) and noticed I could kick through the compression stroke with out using the decompression lever. This can't be good I thought.  Fast forward to me thinking this is the perfect excuse to tear down the engine because I wanted to put Hot Cam's auto decompression exhaust cam in.  I currently have it down to the cylinder and the cyl. head I dropped off for valve inspection because I have no tools to check if they are in spec and I'm guessing I might have a problem with them.

going to buy these.

http://www.hotcamsin...rch.aspx?page=1

Unless someone can suggest a better product.

Once I get the engine all bolted back up, I need to work on clutch, it doesn't feather anymore and I think my friction plates are just worn out..

I'm using a service manual 426 man put on the web.  Been going really smooth so far.  This is the first work ive done on the bike so I'm no pro but I can at least share my experience with you if you have any questions.  Good luck to you!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.