Which Steering Stabilizer

16 replies to this topic
  • JMundy

Posted April 15, 2015 - 09:33 AM

So after doing the Desert 100 and fighting the rough rocks i've decided I need a steering stabilizer for my 07 WR450.  Now question is which one.  Here is what I think I understand about each one

Scotts:

Very popular and been around a long time.  Has High and Low speed dampening and cornering angle dampening.  Dampens going out, not returning to center.  Does not appear to be able to be adjusted when riding.  Believe is $65 for service.  Underbar mounting prices seem to be about $475

GPR4:

Very simple and small.  One adjustment that controls dampening, essentially has high and low all built into one system, not independently controlled.  Dampens going out and returning to center, but all on one circuit.  Quick adjustments can be made while riding.  Cheapest to have repaired / maintained @ $25 after first free service and underbar mounting prices about $460

Fastway 3/5

Similar to GPR in size with more adjustability than scotts.  Has low and high speed dampening, and you can adjust how it dampens on returning to center.  System 5 had adjustments for sweep/corner dampening and can be turned for turning in each direction.  Most expensive at $75 for servicing and units themselves are also most expensive $500 for system 3, $580 for system 5 for under bar mounting

Right now im leaning towards the fastway system 3.  Im not sure if I want dampening on returning to center, i can see pro / con of it so would like to be able to use it or not and test.   I am having a hard time understanding exactly what the sweep / corner dampening is and why it would be wanted, like when would it be needed?

Any input on any of these would be greatly appreciated.  I havent seen much input at all from people who have the fastway systems on here

• JustG

Posted April 15, 2015 - 11:43 AM

I can only comment on the gpr v4 on my supermoto. For the street is had helped immensely for windy days and highspeed wobbles. No problems and gpr had great CS

• bobpara

Posted April 15, 2015 - 11:56 AM

Scotts, hand down.

It has high and low speed damping

That return dampening feature.....why?

Scotts is like Baja Designs.....a super well supported product

• DPete

Posted April 16, 2015 - 03:35 AM

I have a Scotts, you can adjust while riding. If you don't like the arrow adjuster they have a larger knob

• JMundy

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Nobody is using the Fastway at all?   Because they are newer or other issues?

Scotts definately has the support

• bobpara

Posted April 16, 2015 - 10:02 AM

BTW: A Scotts (or other brand) stabilizer is awesome

It will make you faster but in a different way

Any reckless jackass can ride over his head for one lap faster than you

The stabilizer puts less stress on your body

so after riding for 30 or more minutes, your buddies start to fade in the rearview mirror

over the long haul, you will definitely be faster

Short term not so much

• JMundy

Posted April 16, 2015 - 10:04 AM

BTW: A Scotts (or other brand) stabilizer is awesome

It will make you faster but in a different way

Any reckless jackass can ride over his head for one lap faster than you

The stabilizer puts less stress on your body

so after riding for 30 or more minutes, your buddies start to fade in the rearview mirror

over the long haul, you will definitely be faster

Short term not so much

Thats exactly why im looking at one!

100 miles of rocks and sand whoops take its toll on the body.  Not having to work so hard to keep the bike tracking straight means more energy for faster riding.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted April 16, 2015 - 11:01 AM

I'm not familiar with these,,, it may help for long straights, but what do you do when you dive into tight woods ? Do you fight the damper force ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted April 16, 2015 - 11:27 AM

I'm not familiar with these,,, it may help for long straights, but what do you do when you dive into tight woods ? Do you fight the damper force ?

You don't even feel it when turning the bars.

I have a Scotts and I like it. Not sure I would spend all that money again on one, but now that I have one I will always have it on my bike.

• JMundy

Posted April 16, 2015 - 11:29 AM

I think for woods it would help a bit with roots on tight single track to keep wheel going straight

I read the biggest help is high speed desert riding, which im starting to do alot of.  

• woods-rider

Posted April 16, 2015 - 11:31 AM

I think for woods it would help a bit with roots on tight single track to keep wheel going straight

I read the biggest help is high speed desert riding, which im starting to do alot of.  

High speed circuit helps when riding tight woods and you hit your bars on a tree or front tire not quite square on a rock or root.

Low speed circuit helps in high speed woops etc.

Basically get the high speed set where you want it and forget it. Dial the low speed in and out depending on where you are riding that day.

• randallz

Posted April 17, 2015 - 04:32 AM

I run a Scotts on my 2012 WR450F.  Works great for whoops and sand as you can dial in the low speed to make it very predictable.  If you right super tight woods and have the low speed cranked up too high you will definitely feel it.

From what I recall Scotts has 2 versions of their damper - street and off-road.  Off-road doesn't dampen back to center but street does.  Street is stamped with an "R" somewhere on the casing. 

I've never had an issue with no damping back to center.  I know this thing has prevented me from deflecting off of a rock and into the trees many times, works awesome.

• JMundy

Posted April 17, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the input Randallz. Ya Scott's has 2 version like you mentioned.

In theory (in my head) return to center dampening sounds like something I would want. But until I actually use a dampener I cannot say for sure.

I'm really leaning towards the fastway 3 so far, fit and finish is great, have a few friends with the fastway 5 and they love it, but haven't ridden on their bike

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2015 - 01:46 PM

Return to center damping is for road bikes, and Scotts road dampers have that.  But for dirt bikes, it often works against you. 

The Scotts damper is adjustable in low and high speed modes, and also for "sweep".  That is, you can choose how far from center the damping is effective.  They are supported better than 98% of any kind of product, both directly by Scotts personnel, and by posting user and service manuals on their web site, and by making every part of the unit available for purchase.

The best part of the thing is that you can't tell it's there except for the fact that the front end is "quieter".  You can't feel it resist you in any way.  In fact, you will probably have a hard time believing it does anything for a while.  But here's my challenge: Ride with one for 3-4 weeks, then take it off.  You'll first be amazed, then head back to the truck to put it back on. :thumbsup:

• AddictedToBling

Posted April 17, 2015 - 02:54 PM

I'm a bit of a sceptic but have just fitted a Sub mounted Scott's steering dampener to my bike. First ride with it tomorrow. I have TE bars as well :ride: .

The people I know who have return to centre dampening hate it and have all disconnected or taken their dampeners off.

003_zpsy1p1bvwh.jpg

Edited by AddictedToBling, April 17, 2015 - 02:59 PM.

• JMundy

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:33 AM

I went and bought the Fastway 3 unit.  This weekend I got to ride my uncles with the fastway 5 and really liked it.  As stated, you do not notice it almost at all except everything feels smoother.   We have almost identical bikes so that helps alot to know it was the stabilizer doing the work.

Grayracer -  really good points on the support and end user help of the scotts dampener.  I just read your post and I slightly am second guessing myself, but im very confident I will love the fastway as well.  I never really understood what the sweep was, thank you for explaining it

On the bright side, since there is not really reviews on the fastway system ill get to do one and report back what I think and how it all went.

• AddictedToBling

Posted April 20, 2015 - 02:26 PM

I went and bought the Fastway 3 unit.  This weekend I got to ride my uncles with the fastway 5 and really liked it.  As stated, you do not notice it almost at all except everything feels smoother.   We have almost identical bikes so that helps alot to know it was the stabilizer doing the work.

Grayracer -  really good points on the support and end user help of the scotts dampener.  I just read your post and I slightly am second guessing myself, but im very confident I will love the fastway as well.  I never really understood what the sweep was, thank you for explaining it

On the bright side, since there is not really reviews on the fastway system ill get to do one and report back what I think and how it all went.

I rode with the Scott's steering dampener on Sunday (And a flat front tire :facepalm: ). Can't say I noticed any difference at all but I didn't have sore shoulders after the ride.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.