I have joined the dark side...

18 replies to this topic
  • Muaythaicameron

Posted April 14, 2015 - 04:40 AM

Bought a WR450 yesterday, did 350 miles on it between today and yesterday. :)

First four stroke that I've ridden offroad. Blast. Always stayed to true to my yz... but not this time!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1429015158415.jpg
  • 1429015169660.jpg
  • 1429015187837.jpg
  • 1429015201747.jpg

• Andrew Puetz

Posted April 14, 2015 - 06:14 PM

reading the topic, thought you bought a KTM...   but seriously congrats.  what a machine.

• DonnieD

Posted April 15, 2015 - 04:26 AM

Congrats!

• Derwud

Posted April 15, 2015 - 04:53 AM

Welcome, no cookies, but lots of cool rides...

• Chaconne

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:55 AM

Nice.

• Muaythaicameron

Posted April 16, 2015 - 04:48 PM

I went out to a beach yesterday. Man it was soft. My rear is pretty worn down, need to go get a DS specific tire next time. It was pretty fun going 105 kph on the edge of the water tapped in 5th! Any hill that comes up and you just soar off of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1429231687477.jpg
  • 1429231699946.jpg

Edited by Muaythaicameron, April 16, 2015 - 04:49 PM.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted April 16, 2015 - 04:54 PM

nice beach shots ... congrats on the bike.

• cwr12

Posted April 16, 2015 - 08:22 PM

After three YZ's I to made the switch when they gave me a reason to buy a WR. I have no regrets, but ironically I want the YZ250FX now, so I guess I will be back to YZ land eventually. How about the dark blue side? Congrats on the new bike.

Edited by cwr12, April 16, 2015 - 08:23 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2015 - 01:50 PM

You have not joined the dark side, you have come into the light.  Welcome.

"...In the light you will find the road" ~Led Zeppelin

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Muaythaicameron

Posted April 18, 2015 - 08:52 PM

You have not joined the dark side, you have come into the light. Welcome.

"...In the light you will find the road" ~Led Zeppelin

Ah. It's a different beast than my yz. I keep rolling off throttle and expect to maintain a bit of momentum. HA RIGHT. Did 750 kms since Tuesday.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1429419170874.jpg

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:08 AM

Good choice! You'll never want anything else. It's the perfect bike for high power,  non-maintenance loving people.

I stopped checking valve clearances. My +30.000 miles WR400F never needed any other shims, as did my '03 450 (~12.000 miles).

Preowner of my current 2012 had exactly the same experience with that zero maintenance top end.

It takes Vieanna - Bologna freeway rides (~8h at 70mph) , offroad riding during the following week and another 8h freeway race back to Vienna, w/o any hitch, or preparation.

Gas up and park outside; all winter.

You literally only need oil/filter change once a year, and fresh rear suspension bearings

(all of them :) ) as soon as she starts to squal when rocking on the side stand.

P.

• stevethe

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:19 AM

Good choice! You'll never want anything else. It's the perfect bike for high power,  non-maintenance loving people.

I stopped checking valve clearances. My +30.000 miles WR400F never needed any other shims, as did my '03 450 (~12.000 miles).
Preowner of my current 2012 had exactly the same experience with that zero maintenance top end.
It takes Vieanna - Bologna freeway rides (~8h at 70mph) , offroad riding during the following week and another 8h freeway race back to Vienna, w/o any hitch, or preparation.
Gas up and park outside; all winter.

You literally only need oil/filter change once a year, and fresh rear suspension bearings
(all of them :) ) as soon as she starts to squal when rocking on the side stand.

P.

Hum top end yes. However it only holds a quart of oil and should be changed every three or four rides.

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted April 24, 2015 - 01:14 AM

Hum top end yes. However it only holds a quart of oil and should be changed every three or four rides.

That is certaily a good idea! However it is not necessary, I change oil once a year, appr. every 2000 miles.  The only time you must not be that lazy is with a new bike.

The WR400f and the WR450F do create a milky greyish glittering mess after two or three tanks full of riding when new. There is A LOT of fine, metallic deposit in the engine oil. Took me three oil+filter changes in less than three weeks until they stopped contaminating the oil.

The only thing that IS VERY necessary wiht then FCR bikes is to check the carburetor slide ferquently:

pull the carb, press firmliy against the slide with your fingers from the airbox side (simulating ambient pressure during intake phase) and slightly tap at the engine side of the slide.  You should hear the slideplate rattle slightly while you are firmly pressing from the airbox side.

When you don't hear anything while tapping the slide from the engine side, stop riding your carb is done,

there is a high probability that the slide's eingine side aluminum plate already has developed a crack,

that, if unattended, will end in sections breaking off an sucked into the engine.

B.T.D.T. (slide plate broke in the middle of a race)  but  I was lucky the broken off part got stuck in the intake manifold!

Only two solutions:

- buy a new carb housing (~1100 € a pop)

- install the VB mod

Volker Bartheld (back then YZ co-wrencher) adressed that issue by sticking two slide roller rails, made of 0.08 mm thick stainless steel, 90° angled brackets into the carb housing so that the rollers now roll on said steel rails instead of the soft aluminum carb casing.  Don't use brass, (that is what I was doing before meeting VB, it is to brittle).

In my experience that is the only way a FCR will survive ~8000 miles. 

I sold my '98 WR400F with ~20.000 miles on the clock with still nicely rattling carb slide plate ;)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 24, 2015 - 05:16 AM

Wow, your maintenence priorities don't reflect reality.

Oil is the life blood of the motor. Chaning it every 75 hours/2000 hours is just plain foolish.

Oil collects contaminants at a substantial rate, and even with an oil filter, and even if the oils lubricating properties have not been compromised (which they have, at about 20 hours, nearly 100%) you are essentially pre-wearing out your motor by running dirty oil. 

Your 'carb is done' theory is erroneous at best on anything but  the early slant FCR carbs. It's just not true.

Just because a motor does not fail castistrophically does not mean it has been well taken care of....

• stevethe

Posted April 24, 2015 - 05:54 AM

That is certaily a good idea! However it is not necessary, I change oil once a year, appr. every 2000 miles.  The only time you must not be that lazy is with a new bike.

The WR400f and the WR450F do create a milky greyish glittering mess after two or three tanks full of riding when new. There is A LOT of fine, metallic deposit in the engine oil. Took me three oil+filter changes in less than three weeks until they stopped contaminating the oil.

The only thing that IS VERY necessary wiht then FCR bikes is to check the carburetor slide ferquently:

pull the carb, press firmliy against the slide with your fingers from the airbox side (simulating ambient pressure during intake phase) and slightly tap at the engine side of the slide.  You should hear the slideplate rattle slightly while you are firmly pressing from the airbox side.

When you don't hear anything while tapping the slide from the engine side, stop riding your carb is done,

there is a high probability that the slide's eingine side aluminum plate already has developed a crack,

that, if unattended, will end in sections breaking off an sucked into the engine.

B.T.D.T. (slide plate broke in the middle of a race)  but  I was lucky the broken off part got stuck in the intake manifold!

Only two solutions:

- buy a new carb housing (~1100 € a pop)

- install the VB mod

Volker Bartheld (back then YZ co-wrencher) adressed that issue by sticking two slide roller rails, made of 0.08 mm thick stainless steel, 90° angled brackets into the carb housing so that the rollers now roll on said steel rails instead of the soft aluminum carb casing.  Don't use brass, (that is what I was doing before meeting VB, it is to brittle).

In my experience that is the only way a FCR will survive ~8000 miles. 

I sold my '98 WR400F with ~20.000 miles on the clock with still nicely rattling carb slide plate ;)

Just remind me not to buy your used bikes or tell the potential buyer of your habits and let him decide.

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted April 24, 2015 - 05:59 AM

Your 'carb is done' theory is erroneous at best on anything but  the early slant FCR carbs. It's just not true.

Interesting.  So what did Keihin change to prevent the slide's rollers on the

post "early slant FCRs" from digging into the aluminum body over, say  +6000 miles?

The WR400F and WR426F Keihin for sure did have that issue.

btw.

the '03 450 Carburetor exploded view does look exactly like the '98 400F ones

http://www.partzilla...ETOR/parts.html

Part 11 gets hammered by Part 9 against a hard place (carb body) as soon as them slide wheels have dug into the carb housing deep enough.

Edited by WRF-Rowdy, April 24, 2015 - 06:10 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 24, 2015 - 10:13 AM

FCR carbs have an average life of 500 hours according to Keihin.

My CRF450X carb has over 500 hours, as does my WR450F.

If you keep the dirt out (filter the vent hoses and route them properly) the carbs last twice as long as that.

• GASKICKER

Posted April 29, 2015 - 03:06 PM

FCR carbs have an average life of 500 hours according to Keihin.

My CRF450X carb has over 500 hours, as does my WR450F.

If you keep the dirt out (filter the vent hoses and route them properly) the carbs last twice as long as that.

Do you have some pictures of the proper routing? thanks in advance

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 29, 2015 - 03:09 PM

There is a T on each side of the carb, with two hoses

One hose from each side goes up under the tank, and one goes down to the stock location.

Filter all of them.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.