Water in oil after wet ride and pressure wash, 2013 yz450f. Need quick help!

3 replies to this topic
  • KTMfinrider

Posted April 13, 2015 - 09:19 AM

So here is what happened. Had ride today in wet conditions. I did NOT fully drown the bike at any point of the ride but it went at least once deep as water reached bottom of the engine and the chassis. I stalled it there actually. But I did not fall over in the water with the bike or anything. Anyway those did not give me any problems bike worked good and continued riding. My ride lasted about 1,5 hours. Then I went home and instantly washed the bike with pressure washer. After i had washed it I noticed from oil checking window oil looking creamy colour and there was clearly condensed water inside the engine on oil checking window. 

Okay, I did oil change right away and drained it, looked better. Second oil change and the second new oil came out as good, no white/creamy colour anymore. I did 3rd oil change just in case and changed oil fiter too.

But my question is WHY and WHERE the water got in to my engine? :confused:  :confused:  What did I do wrong so I can correct my wrong maintenance of the bike? About the pressuse washing, I did not  pressure wash the bearing/seal areas, and I plugged the exhaus and I tried to avoid those two air intakes on air guides. But I did pressure wash pretty much everywhere else.

And I was starting to worry if the water had done harm to my engine? :(  Water can not been longer in the engine than 3 hours after I went on deep water or if water got in to engine when I pressure washed it it wasnt there longer than hour.

It ran flawless whore riding and after pressure wash and after all the oil changes..

And this is my first four stroke dirt bike and I have previously only had two strokes ktm's and Hondas and this got me really really nervous. Never had such a problems with those two strokes.. :unsure: .

yJzx.jpg

yJzv.jpg

I do ride off-road like trail riding in woods etc NO motocross. Conditions are hard at times there will be deep water, mud pretty much everything, will I have problems in future with this machine?

Edited by KTMfinrider, April 13, 2015 - 10:35 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Right here is the answer:

Had ride today in wet conditions. I did NOT fully drown the bike at any point of the ride but it went at least once deep as water reached bottom of the engine and the chassis. I stalled it there actually.

When you stalled with the breather hose submerged, and/or when you restarted, you sucked water up the hose and into the crankcase.  In operation, air moves back and forth in that hose as the piston moves up and down in the bore, pumping crankcase air back and forth as it does so.  Even at idle, there is generally not enough time for the full 450cc of your engine displacement to move up the hose before the piston comes down again and turns the pressure from negative to positive. 

But as the engine comes to a stop, or when you're cranking it, there's plenty of time for that to happen.  Each foot of 12mm breather hose has about 35cc of space in it, so even when you allow for the decompression that will happen as the vacuum lifts the water that far, there's still plenty of ability to raise water up to the top and dump it.

You should be OK in the long run if you change the oil, run it for a few minutes, then change again until it's no longer milky and no water runs out the drain plug.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KTMfinrider

Posted April 13, 2015 - 12:16 PM

Right here is the answer:

When you stalled with the breather hose submerged, and/or when you restarted, you sucked water up the hose and into the crankcase. In operation, air moves back and forth in that hose as the piston moves up and down in the bore, pumping crankcase air back and forth as it does so. Even at idle, there is generally not enough time for the full 450cc of your engine displacement to move up the hose before the piston comes down again and turns the pressure from negative to positive.

But as the engine comes to a stop, or when you're cranking it, there's plenty of time for that to happen. Each foot of 12mm breather hose has about 35cc of space in it, so even when you allow for the decompression that will happen as the vacuum lifts the water that far, there's still plenty of ability to raise water up to the top and dump it.

You should be OK in the long run if you change the oil, run it for a few minutes, then change again until it's no longer milky and no water runs out the drain plug.

Thank you VERY much for that explanation. I would never understood by myself what happened there and that really helped me to realise what was going on.

I will do 4th oil change before next ride in next saturday even the oil seemed to be clean on 3rd oil change but just in case.

That said Is there possibility to re route that breather hose higher than it is now? Have people do it?

Sry for my broken english.
I

Edited by KTMfinrider, April 13, 2015 - 12:18 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2015 - 12:50 PM

The best way to alter the breather hose is to install a "T" fitting in the existing hose near the cam cover outlet, and then route a second hose either up in a loop into your air box, or up and back along the sub frame toward the rear.  Put a small filter from an auto parts store on the end to keep solids out.

With this set up, if the lower hose gets submerged, the engine can never generate enough vacuum to lift water into the engine because the air will take the easier path through the upper hose.  At the same time, the normally ejected oil will be able to run down and away as originally intended.

No one who speaks two languages well enough to be understood needs to apologize for how well he speaks the second one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.