2009 wr450 oil in airbox

5 replies to this topic
  • Berrey775

Posted April 13, 2015 - 06:26 AM

Good morning,

New to this site and new as far as maintenance goes on my bike, 2009 wr450. Normally I take it to the dealer for service but I decided to change my own oil this time. I removed the drain pug and the dipstick to get the oil draining. not sure where the other bolt is. Here is what happened. the dealer says my bike takes 1 quart of oil. After draining the oil, (not sure if a whole quart came out) I put 1 quart of oil back in the engine. rode 55 miles. Noticed oil in the airbox after the ride, a lot. Is this from overfilling or do I have another problem?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

• stevethe

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Probably just over filled a bit.

• 2009wr450

Posted April 13, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Periodic oil change 0.95L
With oil filter replacement 1.0L
Total amount 1.2L

One drain bolt on each side of the case.

Do yourself a favor and get a manual.

Over filling could cause damage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted April 14, 2015 - 03:58 AM

You should be able find the manual here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

There should be two drain plugs, one on each side off the engine, plus whatever comes out of the filter.

• bobpara

Posted April 14, 2015 - 11:14 AM

Not sure how you are making the logical connection between one and the other. The oil may have been there for quite a while.

I'd wipe the airbox nice and clean and see if it comes back

If it comes back, then I'd dig a bit deeper

If not, you win

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 14, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Constant high rpms, or wheelies will dump oil in the airbox

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.