2002 Stock air filter shredded?

6 replies to this topic
  • 4:20six

Posted February 13, 2002 - 10:11 PM

I just ckecked my stock air filter in my 02, and was shocked to see where it seats was completely shredded and deteriorated. Whats up with that?? The bike is only 4 months old, and I've only cleaned the filter twice. I used general all purpose grease to seal it, could that have eaten the foam away? Will yamaha give me a new filter, since this one was obviosly defective or garbage to begin with? I doubt it, so I bought a twin air.

• DirtJunkiexxx

Posted February 13, 2002 - 10:42 PM

I have 02 also, and use belray waterproof all purpose grease to seal it, the bike is almost 2 mos old, I let you know if it happens to me! :)

• crazyadam

Posted February 13, 2002 - 12:29 PM

The No-Toil kit is great. local dealer has them for 20 bucks, (free filter, oil, cleaner, and grease.) My luck with OEM filters has been bad. These hold up a lot better, IMHO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bassr_#186

Posted February 13, 2002 - 12:39 PM

I ran into the same problem on my brother-in-law's 250f. The problem was the plastic inner cage. The lip that contacts the filter was not smooth - it had sharp spots left all over it from the molding process. It destroyed two filters before we noticed it. After sanding it down, the new filter is holding up fine.

• zx7king

Posted February 13, 2002 - 12:50 PM

you did the right thing buying a twin air. I had one in my 250 two smoke before I sold it. Took it out and now have it in my 426. I cant count the number of times i have cleaned it in a bucket of mineral spirits and it is not shredded at all.

-- charles

Posted February 14, 2002 - 05:53 AM

Hey bud, Could you give me that local dealers name or number or if they have a website, I would like to see if they could ship me one of those no toil kits to me in VA. I have heard nothing but good things about them. My e-mail is FRANKNINJA9R@AOL.COM. Any info. would be greatly appreciated, Frank :)

• crazyadam

Posted February 14, 2002 - 06:19 AM

Freewheeling cycle... It was 20.99, I think.
716-873-1053. Just called them.. free filter deal has expired :) sorry...
Might as well call dennis kirk or somebody else. But this stuff does work great!

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.