wr 400 for short highwaay trips

8 replies to this topic
  • elrontx

Posted April 09, 2015 - 03:52 PM

whats up everybody, i have a plated 99 wr 400 with stock gearing. its mainly for offroad use but i was thinking of riding it on the highway to hit a small local spot where its not safe to park my truck. its about 7 miles each way, ill be cruising at apx 60. im worried about messing the engine up.  what do you WR experts on this fourm think? thanks.

• JustG

Posted April 09, 2015 - 04:08 PM

Post your gearing and you'll get an answer. Most too lazy to look!

Edited by JustG, April 09, 2015 - 04:08 PM.

• Jedmeister

Posted April 09, 2015 - 04:31 PM

Hey eltrontx,

I have a '98 WR400 that I recently rebuilt with 426 bits.  I run it in the bush once or twice a month, but it does most of its hours in motard trim with 17 inch rims.  I originally had 15/50 final gearing gearing on it but the revs were WAY to high for crusing the highway (awesome for blasting around below 80kmph though).  Went down to 15/44 next.  That brought revs at 100kmph (60mph) down to about 6600, but was still a bit high for my liking (a little vibey through the bars and pegs).  The engine in my bike is most happy between 5000 and 6000rpm so a further gearing drop to 15/39 has solved that issue. 

I've put about 8000km on it on the pavement and about 1500km dirt, with a fair bit of that at pretty high revs with out issue (and oil changes every 500-1000km).

By the way, i did the rebuild because fourth gear lost a few teeth, the 400 cylinder/piston were in pretty reasonable condition when I replaced them.

If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to blast short trips at high revs.

Cheers, Jed

Also, check out gearingcommander.com to work out what revs your engine will be doing at your intended speed and make a decision from there.

• elrontx

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Post your gearing and you'll get an answer. Most too lazy to look!

14/50

Edited by elrontx, April 09, 2015 - 05:20 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elrontx

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:13 PM

Hey eltrontx,

I have a '98 WR400 that I recently rebuilt with 426 bits.  I run it in the bush once or twice a month, but it does most of its hours in motard trim with 17 inch rims.  I originally had 15/50 final gearing gearing on it but the revs were WAY to high for crusing the highway (awesome for blasting around below 80kmph though).  Went down to 15/44 next.  That brought revs at 100kmph (60mph) down to about 6600, but was still a bit high for my liking (a little vibey through the bars and pegs).  The engine in my bike is most happy between 5000 and 6000rpm so a further gearing drop to 15/39 has solved that issue. 

I've put about 8000km on it on the pavement and about 1500km dirt, with a fair bit of that at pretty high revs with out issue (and oil changes every 500-1000km).

By the way, i did the rebuild because fourth gear lost a few teeth, the 400 cylinder/piston were in pretty reasonable condition when I replaced them.

If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to blast short trips at high revs.

Cheers, Jed

Also, check out gearingcommander.com to work out what revs your engine will be doing at your intended speed and make a decision from there.

thanks. im not to worried about it just want to hear other more mechanically inclined riders opinions. i change the oil every 200 miles or so. i ride mainly offroad. 

Edited by elrontx, April 09, 2015 - 05:18 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 09, 2015 - 05:39 PM

14/50 at 60mph is not to bad

• elrontx

Posted April 10, 2015 - 12:19 PM

thanks for the info guys. 

• bobpara

Posted April 14, 2015 - 11:26 AM

Just use your judgement and dont over-rev the thing

• VinceDC

Posted April 15, 2015 - 05:16 PM

Your good, just don't shift it to hard on the road or you could have premature trans issues. They are not designed with a damper system like a street spec bike. So the trans can take a beating on the asphalt. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.