YZ450F - Please Help an Idiot

5 replies to this topic
  • riftvalley

Posted April 09, 2015 - 04:40 AM

http://nh.craigslist...4956436147.html

Price is way high according to NADA (avg. retail $2400). Asked him to explain "New motor" and he said all the following was done by dealership "whole top end, jug piston, rings, adjust valves like new" also new back tire, chain, oil and air filter change.

I'd be looking to convert to supermoto. What would you pay for this bike? Keep in mind bikes like this tend to go above NADA out here because I'm on the east coast out in the sticks and big 4 strokers aren't as common.

Edited by riftvalley, April 09, 2015 - 05:11 AM.

• nucular

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:37 AM

I don't know anything about your area but I can tell you that around here (midwest), good YZ450fs go for around 2500.  I can also tell you that I have an 08 that threw the big end bearing after having owned it for 5 hours.  I rebuilt the motor using all OEM - crank, all bearings, oil pump, cylinder, piston/rings, valve seals, valve springs, tensioner, etc, etc.  I will be selling it sometime soon and my intention was to list it at somewhere right around 3.  3700 is too much for an 08 even in great shape.

• billygildark5007

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:48 AM

This happens a lot. Everyone thinks their used bikes are worth every penny they spent on it. I live in California and wouldn't spend more than $2500 if I really, really wanted it. And that would only be if the guy had receipts showing what was rebuilt...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • riftvalley

Posted April 09, 2015 - 09:42 AM

I don't know anything about your area but I can tell you that around here (midwest), good YZ450fs go for around 2500.  I can also tell you that I have an 08 that threw the big end bearing after having owned it for 5 hours.  I rebuilt the motor using all OEM - crank, all bearings, oil pump, cylinder, piston/rings, valve seals, valve springs, tensioner, etc, etc.  I will be selling it sometime soon and my intention was to list it at somewhere right around 3.  3700 is too much for an 08 even in great shape.

This happens a lot. Everyone thinks their used bikes are worth every penny they spent on it. I live in California and wouldn't spend more than $2500 if I really, really wanted it. And that would only be if the guy had receipts showing what was rebuilt...

Thank you both. I hear you on the "think their used bikes are worth every penny they spent on it." The seller told me "there are a few people interested in it" Never heard that one before; better get to the bank quick!

Good call on the receipts; gonna call the shop he said had the work done. I was worried when he said dealership but it looks like he had the top end done by a competent machine shop.

Bike is close so I’m not even gonna mention price until I get there in person, bargaining over the phone/text/computer is BS.

As someone who has zero experience with dirt bikes (well sort of, DRZ400SM) What should I look/listen for on a cold start up? Zero smoke? Smoke for a few seconds? etc.

• billygildark5007

Posted April 09, 2015 - 11:20 AM

First off when you see the bike make sure it is cold. Feel the motor, radiators ect, if it's warm the guy probably spent 5 mins kicking it to warm it up so it starts first kick when your there.
Yz's are generally loud motors but listen for any ticking or knocking sounds that don't seem right.
A healthy motor will not smoke.

• riftvalley

Posted April 09, 2015 - 12:17 PM

First off when you see the bike make sure it is cold. Feel the motor, radiators ect, if it's warm the guy probably spent 5 mins kicking it to warm it up so it starts first kick when your there.
Yz's are generally loud motors but listen for any ticking or knocking sounds that don't seem right.
A healthy motor will not smoke.

Muchas gracias. I want this bike but I'm glad you guys both threw out the $2500 number. I'll overpay for the bike but no damned $1,200 overpay.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.