Chain and Sprocket

14 replies to this topic
  • danebronzyk

Posted April 08, 2015 - 04:14 PM

Hi everyone from the UP of Michigan!!! I have a 04 wr450f and I was wondering what preferences you have on chains and sprockets! Steel or aluminum, sizes and what not. I know stock is a 520 chain and the length is 114, and the front sprocket is 14 tooth and the back is 50 tooth. Brand preferences or didn't sizes for trail riding! Thanks!!

• danebronzyk

Posted April 08, 2015 - 04:17 PM

Also any reviews on JT chain and sprocket kits!

• kx450f06

Posted April 08, 2015 - 04:31 PM

Steel will last a lot longer than aluminum sprockets but aluminum is lighter.
I personally like DID vx2 or DID ert2 are both great chains. I run it with a talon aluminum sprocket it has held up great so far. I have heard the iron man sprockets are great too.

• Pooley

Posted April 08, 2015 - 05:06 PM

I'm a big fan of steel sprockets.  I had an aluminum sprocket for a bit, and it seemed to wear extremely fast, probably only 30% of the lifespan of a steel sprocket.  I don't know if it was due to all the sand in Michigan, or just the way I ride (I tend to run low RPMs and torque through things) but I went back to steel.

• Rob28x

Posted April 08, 2015 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for starting the thread, I am in the process of researching the same thing for mine as well. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 08, 2015 - 05:29 PM

JT, Sun, Sunline, or Ironman sprockets

I prefer JT

DID VT2 series chain will last for many, many years if maintained.

The one on my Honda went 350 hours !

• danebronzyk

Posted April 08, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for all the input!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:23 AM

Does everyone use an O-ring 520?

So long as you dont mind buying a new one every couple months, I'd bet a non-O Ring 520 would sap less power from the engine

Has anyone tries non- O Ring and seen a worthwhile power increase?

• stevethe

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:22 AM

I've had good results with JT sprockets on other bikes they are made from 7075 T6 aluminum. They are the next up to steel which is stronger. i am currently using a Supersprox aluminum inner and steel teeth outer. Which is a great sprocket but cost a bit of dough.

• woods-rider

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:26 AM

Steel sprockets, O-ring or X-ring chain, end of discussion.

• stevethe

Posted April 09, 2015 - 07:52 AM

Does everyone use an O-ring 520?

So long as you dont mind buying a new one every couple months, I'd bet a non-O Ring 520 would sap less power from the engine

Has anyone tries non- O Ring and seen a worthwhile power increase?

X rings do not rob much power. If you had a road race bike I could see using a non o-ring chain.

• Rob28x

Posted April 09, 2015 - 03:11 PM

Main thing I have been reading about using non sealed chains is that they require constant adjustment and cleaning/relubing. 

• cb0y1

Posted April 12, 2015 - 07:15 PM

I'm a firm believer in Ironman sprockets with the Regina chain. They are light, look trick, and last forever.

• DonnieD

Posted April 15, 2015 - 04:51 AM

DID, Sunstar. Steel. O-ring. love you long time

DID, Sunstar. Steel. O-ring. love you long time

• Chaconne

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:58 AM

Ironman, DID xring on all my bikes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.