Milky white oil

10 replies to this topic
  • Hawkins37

Posted April 08, 2015 - 01:13 PM

08 yz450. Finally got everything back together, put the oil and coolant in it and she fired up first kick. I let it idle about two minutes shut it down and when I pulled the dipstick the oil looked to be a milky white color. Now there is a small hole in my rad that is going to get fixed up tomorrow but that's external. From my research on this it could be water or a head gasket. The motor has been open but just covered up with rags while I wasn't working on it so could it be the condensation that got in it and mixed with the oil. It's been awfully humid and rainy lately or should I be leaning more toward the head gasket? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Hawkins37

Posted April 08, 2015 - 02:05 PM

I think it's a head gasketImageUploadedByThumper Talk1428530749.142358.jpg

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 08, 2015 - 03:57 PM

Did you remember to put orings around dowels when rebuilding it?

• Hawkins37

Posted April 08, 2015 - 04:43 PM

Which dowels do u mean? On the head?

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2015 - 09:41 PM

The O-rings he's referring to don't exist on the '06 and later models.  His '04 had one fail.

Assuming no cracks or holes, there are three places where water can get into your oil:

• The O-ring between the crankcase and the right crankcase cover, above and behind the water pump
  • The base gasket (no O-ring)
  • The head gasket

How did you torque the head?  Did you reuse either the head or base gasket?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hawkins37

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:30 PM

I followed the manual on the torques but I reused both gaskets. I didn't split the cases only had the head and cylinder off. I just ordered a whole engine gasket set bc I figured it was the head gasket. So they ought to be here tomorrow or Saturday and I plan on changing both the base and head gasket. Hopefully that'll cure my problem and I got the hole in the rad fixed and pressure tested today so that's all good

• Hawkins37

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:32 PM

I just didn't have the gaskets and never had to change one on all my two strokes unless there was a tear. Still got a lot to learn with these 450s!

• Hawkins37

Posted April 15, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Just was installing the new gaskets base, head, and stator pulled off the stator cover and found this oring laying in there anybody got an idea where it's from. This thing is really P***ing me off I just wanna ride already and it just seems like one thing after the nextImageUploadedByThumper Talk1429149583.602705.jpg

• CO_Rider

Posted April 16, 2015 - 06:21 AM

On the stator cover upper left by the oil fill there is a dowel and I am pretty sure there is an o ring around it. I would check there.

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2015 - 06:26 AM

On the stator cover upper left by the oil fill there is a dowel and I am pretty sure there is an o ring around it.

There is.  There will be a recess cut around the bolt hole where the dowel is inserted to accept the O-ring.

• Hawkins37

Posted April 16, 2015 - 11:24 AM

Thanks much guys I'll take a look when I get home tonight

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.