Yz426 with wr 426 trans gears

6 replies to this topic
  • Clutchup

Posted April 07, 2015 - 03:05 PM

Hey guys im looking into swaping my trans gears for wr 426 gears i want the wide ratio for my supermoto. Now i was looking around online and the wr426 and wr 400 trans gears are super rare on ebay so i was thinking of buying new. Can i just get the gears and put that in my trans or do i need the whole shaft with everything from a wr 426. Seen this on another fourm with part numbers but missing i think 1st and 2nd.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Clutchup, April 07, 2015 - 03:19 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2015 - 04:42 PM

If you change 1st gear, you will need to change the main shaft, because the 1st pinion (the driving member of the 1st gear pair) is cut directly on the main shaft.  Besides that, you need one of each of 4 pinion gears and 5 "wheel" (driven member of the pair) gears. The rest interchanges.

• Clutchup

Posted April 07, 2015 - 04:47 PM

Got you i was looking at s parts website and the gears are really expensive thought they wiuld be cheaper... I might just wait and see if s set turns up on ebay. Do the wr450 gears swap over like the wr 426 ones? Mayby from the earlier years?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2015 - 06:02 AM

Nope. Overall assembled shaft widths are different.

• Clutchup

Posted April 08, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Nope. Overall assembled shaft widths are different.

got ya thanks again!

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2015 - 06:49 AM

One alternate approach you might consider is a hybrid gear set.  On my desert racer, I left the 1st three gears as they were, and added the 4th and 5th from the WR.  In your application this would leave low gear pretty tall, but not as much as it would have been if you geared a YZ gearbox for your desired speed.  Ratio spacing would be close at the bottom and wider at the top, which would be a little odd on pavement.   Another way might be to use only 1st and second from the WR, which would allow bumping the overall gearing well up while keeping 1st at a reasonable level, and give 3 tightly spaced gears on top.  Either approach will obviously be cheaper.

Note that 3rd in both sets is pretty close to the same ratio.

• Clutchup

Posted April 08, 2015 - 06:59 AM

One alternate approach you might consider is a hybrid gear set.  On my desert racer, I left the 1st three gears as they were, and added the 4th and 5th from the WR.  In your application this would leave low gear pretty tall, but not as much as it would have been if you geared a YZ gearbox for your desired speed.  Ratio spacing would be close at the bottom and wider at the top, which would be a little odd on pavement.   Another way might be to use only 1st and second from the WR, which would allow bumping the overall gearing well up while keeping 1st at a reasonable level, and give 3 tightly spaced gears on top.  Either approach will obviously be cheaper.

Note that 3rd in both sets is pretty close to the same ratio.

ok makes more sense I want to gear for stunting but cant get both I was geared at 15-51 loved the low end but with the yz trans the ratio was way off for the road. I was always high reved. Right now im geared 15-40 and still have decent down low but gota slip the clutch a hair on take offs but my top speed is around 105- 110 mph which is nice for highways. but I want a really low first gear for stunting and decent 5th for the roads and not be screaming... not sure yet what I wana do that would suite me best.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.