First year of Excels on Yamahas?

5 replies to this topic
  • shintoryu

Posted February 12, 2002 - 07:14 PM

Just a quick question for everyone out there... what was the first year that Yamaha threw on Excels as an OEM item on their bikes. Likewise, if a few twosmokers out there could help, were there any "ground shattering" modifications that yamaha did to the 98-02 YZ 250 that would make it well worth the buy over a 97? I'm picking up a used two stroke in addition to my 4 and wanted to make sure I got a good year (i'm looking at a 97 right now). Thanks!

• canadianbeast

Posted February 12, 2002 - 07:20 PM

the 02' YZ250 was totaly redesigned this year, new ergo, motor mods ect.. Every year they would do a little bit to the motor, suspension but now its a new bike.

• shintoryu

Posted February 12, 2002 - 07:23 PM

Ok... but for other models (98-01), did they do any MAJOR redesigns? I'm also trying to figure out what year they started with the excels, so I don't miss out =)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastkevin

Posted February 13, 2002 - 05:07 AM

1999 was the first year they put them on the 400. I thought you bought a CRF?

• tallbob

Posted February 13, 2002 - 06:59 AM

I've got a 99 yz250 and it has the excel wheels. I believe the engine was redesigned for 99 but I don't remember the details.

• Le_Racer

Posted February 15, 2002 - 07:00 AM

Salut!

98 was the first year with the Excel rims.
I had a 97 and a 98 250, I raced my 97 stock, it was ok but if my memory serves me well my 98 was pulling better stock. On the 98 I've done a little porting, raised the cylinder(2 base gasket) and reshaped the head.
For ice racing, running a Boyensen Rad valve, stock pipe and PC silencer on Pro Fuel MKII it was putting down 48.5 hp, up from 42 stock.
For MX and Dirt track I had a DEP pipe that was way easier to ride and made 45.6 hp.

The 97 was not set-up as good suspension wise for mx but it's easy to get it like you want.

Yamaha changed the motor for 99, the 88 to 98 were basically the same, save for little changes every years or biggers ones when they went from sleeved cylinder to plated (in 91 maybe?).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.