2003 wr450f starter

6 replies to this topic
  • Bugger926

Posted April 04, 2015 - 06:52 AM

Brand new battery. Charged completely. Hit button starter just spins. Took starter apart everything looks good and tight. Was told that the battery may not be strong enough to turn the motor over but after hitting button 5-6 times it did start the bike once. Kick start works perfect and fires up everytime. Just curious as to thoughts and suggestions. If it is the starter are the $80 ebay ones worth a damn. Don't need to get screwed over. Thank you.

• GuyGraham

Posted April 04, 2015 - 07:04 AM

If the starter motor is spinning then it works!

possible slipping clutch mechanism on the back the of the rotor

• Bugger926

Posted April 04, 2015 - 07:14 AM

If I could post a video of it I would but can't figure that part out. It sounds just like a car when the starter is getting ready to die.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JVP

Posted April 04, 2015 - 08:16 AM

This topic comes up about once every other month with the 03/04 WR's. They do have weak starting motors. However, you need to test it first, by bypassing the relay and go with a jumper directly to the starter. My guess, is your starting relay is bad. You say it sound like a car starter when it goes bad. On a car starter, they have a solenoid that engages the gear to the flywheel. What you hear is a clicking sound. The WR does not work that way. They clicking sound is the relay. The bike is 12 years old, so that is where I would look. You also can rebuild the starter. As long as the winding/aperture is good, you can buy the busing and O-rings. It is an easy process.

• Bugger926

Posted April 04, 2015 - 03:34 PM

Well I took the side cover off and found the flywheel is spinning free and will catch sometimes. I'm guessing it's the woodruff key. The flywheel spinning is what I was hearing.

• JVP

Posted April 04, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Well I took the side cover off and found the flywheel is spinning free and will catch sometimes. I'm guessing it's the woodruff key. The flywheel spinning is what I was hearing.

That is a good call.  The 03 WR was noted for having a woodruff key defect.  I believe there was a recall on that when the bike was new.  Not sure if you can collect on it.  They fixed the problem on the 04 and beyond.

• bobpara

Posted April 06, 2015 - 05:53 AM

I was just going to add something, but I think you figured it out

I had a harley sportster that had a steel ring gear pressed onto the aluminum stator

The press fitted gear was slipping and not turning the engine over

drove me crazy !!!

Sounds like you have something similar

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.