YZ426 a lot of oil coming out of the valve cover breather?

9 replies to this topic
  • GVDRZ400SM

Posted April 03, 2015 - 12:49 PM

What's up guys , my good friend has a yz426 in supermoto trim that rides with me . He bought it used from a guy , it was pretty much stock .

Previous owner had a 40 tooth rear sprocket and 16 tooth front to gear it up for the street . Gears were very long , after riding and leaving the bike overnight he would notice a drip or 2 of white/yellow oil residue on the floor dripping from the valve cover breather hose . Never thought it was any issue at all.

Now my friend geared it down for stunting and backroads /woods fun , he has a 15/51 . So the bike revs out about 65-70 mph. But now, that valve cover breather is spitting out oil constantly ,we noticed it cause it was spitting oil onto the rear tire . we made a catch can out of a water bottle and it had about 1/4 inch of oil in it after a few hours .

Now is this from it revving a lot higher now with the short gearing? Is it normal for the 426? He hasn't lost any oil on the dipstick . Does this bike need a catch can ?

Today was the first day we went out since winter , bike stayed in the gArage all winter, started up here and there .

• GVDRZ400SM

Posted April 04, 2015 - 06:11 AM

Bump anyone?

• Rob28x

Posted April 04, 2015 - 04:39 PM

Any signs of coolant in the oil? My WR426 kind of did the same thing and come to find out it was a bad head gasket causing coolant to mix with the oil. 

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2015 - 06:15 PM

Now my friend geared it down for stunting and backroads /woods fun , he has a 15/51 . So the bike revs out about 65-70 mph. But now, that valve cover breather is spitting out oil constantly ,we noticed it cause it was spitting oil onto the rear tire . we made a catch can out of a water bottle and it had about 1/4 inch of oil in it after a few hours .

Normal.  Stock gearing is 14/49 BTW, roughly what you have on it now.

• GVDRZ400SM

Posted April 04, 2015 - 09:08 PM

No coolant In the oil. Oil doesent burn and it's always fresh .

So that amount of blow by is normal ? I'm assuming it's caused from high revving ? Which is why I didn't see it with the taller gearing because it wasn't revving that high then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2015 - 06:43 AM

At 70, the bike is running at just over 8000 with that gearing.  Then you said, "a few hours".  Yes, that's normal.

• GVDRZ400SM

Posted April 05, 2015 - 07:26 AM

I mean the bike tops out at around 70 but he wasn't doing 70 for a few hours . Ya know . Just like backroads riding and woods riding and in a few hours there was that amount of oil in the bottle .

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2015 - 06:59 PM

Could also be that it's getting tired, needs rings.

• G-BRO

Posted April 05, 2015 - 08:40 PM

My 426 always did this. Not a lot of oil, but a few drips, especially if the oil was over serviced.

• Clutchup

Posted April 15, 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hey guys this was my yz426 and i do think the motor might be tired. I was told that my bike everyonce in a while would puff a lottle smoke when clitchin up a wheelie. Now the other day i went riding all day rippin backroads with street bikes and was really revin her and today i drained my catch can and had alot of oil in it more then what it should i aldo checked my oil and was balery on the dip stick and i did run the bike let it sit for a min then check. After that day of riding i think my cam chain is streatched as well as the top of the motor is a little noisy. Im thinking go with a new piston and rings, cam chain, valve adjustment. Should be good for a while after that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.