05 WR went 10yrs and 4000 single tarck miles

2 replies to this topic
  • newthumper05

Posted April 02, 2015 - 09:55 PM

She finally lost compession need new piston and 5th gear, both gears and shift forks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 03, 2015 - 05:23 AM

4000 single track miles could be from 100 - 400 hours....

• Pooley

Posted April 06, 2015 - 08:35 AM

I've posted these stats before, for my 2001 426, which has seen 99.9% singletrack use.  Yamaha's are definitely reliable.

At about 8k singletrack miles (500ish hours), I had the engine apart and decided to check and replace a few things after turning the bike into a submarine one sunny afternoon after which it wouldn't start.  I already knew and had planned on new valve stem seals as I had a bit of oil seeping by.  I didn't need rings but I decided to change them anyway since I had already had the bike apart and had purchased the rings.  Cam chain just because.  It was worn, but not unacceptably so.  At 15k miles (1000ish hours), I finally lost compression due to a worn center intake valve (never needed shimming until it let go) and finally installed new valves.  All internal bearings and such are still in great condition.  Cam chain #2 is still acceptable.  Still on the original clutch.

Do I want a new bike, of course.  According to the formula to determine the optimum number of biked to own:  Optimum number of bikes = n+1, where n = number of current bikes.  Do I need a new bike, NO.  Will a new bike be as trustworthy...probably not.  I love the big ole blue beast.

Edited by Pooley, April 06, 2015 - 08:38 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.