aluminum clutch cover

7 replies to this topic
  • SealClubber

Posted February 11, 2002 - 06:23 PM

Anyone know who sells aluminum clutch covers?

• JBM

Posted February 12, 2002 - 05:29 AM

Try http://www.boyesen.c...utchcovers.html

Scratch that, it looks they only make them for the 2 strokes, but it may be worth checking into further.

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: JBM ]

• dirtdad

Posted February 12, 2002 - 07:25 AM

why do you want an aluminum cover? Looks, weight savings? The stock cover is made out of magnesium so I don't think you'll save any weight.

• enmerdeur

Posted February 12, 2002 - 07:46 AM

Procircuit has both clutch and ignition covers for the YZF's

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SealClubber

Posted February 12, 2002 - 04:01 PM

I want aluminum because I can repair it if the hole is small. Also they are more durable. Magnesium is light and stiff but brittle and you cannot weld, pound, or grind it like aluminum. Carbon fiber is the same.
I had a small rock bounce off my boot, ding my cover and put a 1/4 inch crack in it. If it were aluminum I could fix it. sells them for $90. They aren't listed on the websight. You have to call them.
1-800-834-9363 :)

Procircuit only sells Magnesium. Thanks though.

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Lawrence ]

• enmerdeur

Posted February 13, 2002 - 11:24 AM

I fixed the small hole in my ignition cover with JB Weld. Two years later it is still holding!

• SealClubber

Posted February 13, 2002 - 06:56 PM

I was told JB weld is porous so I don't think it would work on the clutch cover, but if I ever crack my ignition cover I will certainly try that.

Dan :)

• enmerdeur

Posted February 13, 2002 - 08:44 PM

It really doesn't matter which side since both sides have oil to contain (on the YZF that is). The JB Weld has kept the oil in without a problem. All this is somewhat moot since you would rather have something you can weld and luckily you have found it. I would be interested in seeing photos of the aluminum cover when you get it. Post some if you can.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.