15 YZ450F vs 12 CRF450R - which to buy?

65 replies to this topic
  • 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 02, 2015 - 02:32 AM

I do agree Hondas cost more to rebuild but with four grand I can rebuild it about six times(crank,jug,piston,rings)

• Emkjr93

Posted April 02, 2015 - 02:43 AM

I do agree Hondas cost more to rebuild but with four grand I can rebuild it about six times(crank,jug,piston,rings)

and thank you for clarifying why they are more costly! Parts just cost more... Simple answer to my question haha thank you!

• Mumm32

Posted April 02, 2015 - 02:50 AM

Yz!!! Yz!!!

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 02, 2015 - 02:53 AM

Most people on here are bias because its a yz forum.... Post this in the Honda forum n see what happens

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 02, 2015 - 02:54 AM

Don't get me wrong I love Yamaha's, but IMO if you maintain them, most of the jap bikes are awesome

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2015 - 06:48 AM

I never said they cost more to rebuild, and in fact, they don't.  But you can't rebuild it six times for $4K, either.   The parts you mentioned, along with a pair of main bearings and a gasket set are about an even $1000, maybe $100 less or so than the YZ.   The expense comes from the fact that you have to do it more often.

Besides, having ridden several CRF's with and without all sorts of mods, and a couple of stock '14-'15 YZ450's, the Honda just falls way short, IMO.  If the OP has the means to buy the YZ, he should do himself a favor and try one out before he sets himself up for the disappointment of finding out later what he could have had.

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 02, 2015 - 08:25 AM

First of all, my bad I guess when you say "ever rebuilt one?$$" I take that as your saying they're expensive to rebuild but maybe I just don't understand English properly???? Second yes the Hondas do cost more to rebuild (not by much) and third yes I can rebuild a 2012 crf 450 6 times for 4gs and sry I forgot to mention that the crank comes with bearings and a full engine gasket set. Ever been on eBay? But besides the fact this is a post asking for opinions and that what I gave. IMO they are both excellent bikes but in this case, if it were me I'd rather save the 4000+tax and get the Honda as buying a brand new bike, to me is a waste of hard earned money

• Emkjr93

Posted April 02, 2015 - 09:03 AM

I never said they cost more to rebuild, and in fact, they don't. But you can't rebuild it six times for $4K, either. The parts you mentioned, along with a pair of main bearings and a gasket set are about an even $1000, maybe $100 less or so than the YZ. The expense comes from the fact that you have to do it more often.

Besides, having ridden several CRF's with and without all sorts of mods, and a couple of stock '14-'15 YZ450's, the Honda just falls way short, IMO. If the OP has the means to buy the YZ, he should do himself a favor and try one out before he sets himself up for the disappointment of finding out later what he could have had.

When are you going to give a reason to say the Hondas will disappoint? Seems like your just making up stupid reasons to be biased. And no, suspension doesn't count as a reason and the guy isnt a pro so he's not gonna notice the difference in power or give a crap because they are all the same. Just pick a damn color

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2015 - 10:34 AM

... suspension doesn't count as a reason and the guy isnt a pro so he's not gonna notice the difference in power or give a crap because they are all the same. Just pick a damn color

Suspension does count, so does reliability (which I have now mentioned at least twice, and you've ignored it).  You'd need to be under anesthesia not to notice the difference in power between the '15 YZ and any CRF I've ever ridden.

If they're all the same, what does it matter to you anyway? 

• Emkjr93

Posted April 02, 2015 - 10:41 AM

Suspension does count, so does reliability (which I have now mentioned at least twice, and you've ignored it). You'd need to be under anesthesia not to notice the difference in power between the '15 YZ and any CRF I've ever ridden.

If they're all the same, what does it matter to you anyway?

Suspension doesn't count because every bike will need the suspension adjusted to the rider and secondly reliability is the same if you don't treat the bike like shit and take care of it. And it's on the rider not the bike. If Honda was so shitty, why do they have more podium finishes in supercross? Because of the riders. Bike didn't a damn thing for them so your theory about the power being everything is a load of crap. And yeah I agree with you about it not mattering anyways... Especially since he's not a pro that's gonna even tap the full potential of either bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz133rider

Posted April 02, 2015 - 10:55 AM

Listen regardless of the reasons we give you, you will not see it, so have a nice day carry on honda sir.

• Gunner354

Posted April 02, 2015 - 11:08 AM

Listen regardless of the reasons we give you, you will not see it, so have a nice day carry on honda sir.

Agree!
Yamaha is the longevity King! Hands down! and that's why I own them. Honda used to have good bikes when they were 2 strokes only, but at least the early versions of the CRF's ate valves and cranks like a kid let loose in a candy store. Every single person that I know who owned a Honda had valves issues at least once and most several. Why do they have more championships than any other? Really? if you can figure that out then you don't deserve to know!

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 02, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Well we are not talking about the earlier crfs. We are talking about a 2012 crf and they don't have the valve problem anymore

• Emkjr93

Posted April 02, 2015 - 11:34 AM

Well we can argue about this stuff all day and like I said before, I'll never say anything bad about yamaha Cuz I've never had a problem with them, nor have I had any trouble with Honda. So we can just agree to disagree and leave it at that

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 02, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Sure Yamaha's are the most reliable but if your not banging your bike of rev limiter and be at in the piss out of it, keep up on maintenance then the Honda will last a long time.... Sure Yamaha's are awesome but the difference between the two in the title does not justify another 4000$ plus taxes.

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted April 02, 2015 - 11:38 AM

The thing is if you maintain your bike it will last a long long time weather it be the Honda or the Yamaha. If you want a better opinion between Honda and Yamaha, don't ask on a yammy forum and expect non biased answers.. Do your research

• Monk

Posted April 02, 2015 - 11:43 AM

Just my personal opinion, I borrowed a 13 Honda 450 and wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. The 13 is supposed to be an improvement over the 12 Honda, so I would bet that of I didn't like the 13, I wouldn't like a 12. I have a new Yamaha now and everytime I ride it I'm more and more impressed. All that being said, I recently took a spin on a 15 KTM 450. Short of the atrocious suspension the motor, handling and even the feel all felt very very similar to my YZ450F.

• Emkjr93

Posted April 02, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Just my personal opinion, I borrowed a 13 Honda 450 and wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. The 13 is supposed to be an improvement over the 12 Honda, so I would bet that of I didn't like the 13, I wouldn't like a 12. I have a new Yamaha now and everytime I ride it I'm more and more impressed. All that being said, I recently took a spin on a 15 KTM 450. Short of the atrocious suspension the motor, handling and even the feel all felt very very similar to my YZ450F.

When I got my 2012 the dealer said the 13s and newer were dogs compared to the 12.. I'm not sure if there's really any truth to that but that's what they say...

• xXHaNsEnXx

Posted April 02, 2015 - 11:55 AM

I've always thought the Honda felt natural to me. Its a shorter bike and hides it weight well. That being said I still bought yamaha for the reliability and just thought It was a overall better bike.

• jcm3

Posted April 04, 2015 - 11:36 AM

I've always thought the Honda felt natural to me. Its a shorter bike and hides it weight well. That being said I still bought yamaha for the reliability and just thought It was a overall better bike.

Same here.  I've always been a Yamaha guy, but I was really tempted to try out an RM-Z this time to feel what the handling talk (well, more turning) is all about.  But, I ended up going back to a Yamaha for the reliability, suspension and power.

Plus, I found one with a ton of mods so it ended up being a no-brainer for me.  Glad I did, I love it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.