AC lighting question

Yamaha WR426F

4 replies to this topic
  • jwoue92

Posted March 27, 2015 - 08:38 AM

Hi Everyone, 

I'm converting my yz426f for the street, doing the WR stator/flywheel swap. I want to keep it simple so I was planning on keeping the AC circuit. I've heard that AC will not run the flasher unit for the blinkers. I thought this would only be true if I was running LEDs, which I am not.

Will the AC system run the blinkers?  I appreciate the help.  -Jeff

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2015 - 09:05 AM

I don't know about blinkers, but you can add a rectifier/regulator to create a DC sub circuit.  Remember to keep either the AC or DC side off of the chassis ground.

BTW, LED's will run on AC, but they'll flicker at low cyclic frequencies.  They're on when forward biased, off when reversed.

Attached Thumbnails

• grounds.png

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwoue92

Posted March 27, 2015 - 12:21 PM

I wanted to stay away from having a battery and stick with AC current. But if I still need DC to run the turn signal flasher and horn, do I need to float the ground on the stator too?

Or can I just ground the pink wire from the six point connector to use my YZ cdi and just use a rectifier to get DC?  Still trying to fully understand this, thanks again for any help.

Edited by jwoue92, March 27, 2015 - 12:21 PM.

• jwoue92

Posted March 27, 2015 - 02:45 PM

I don't know about blinkers, but you can add a rectifier/regulator to create a DC sub circuit.  Remember to keep either the AC or DC side off of the chassis ground.

BTW, LED's will run on AC, but they'll flicker at low cyclic frequencies.  They're on when forward biased, off when reversed.

So if the tail light is LED and I'm running AC, do you think it'll flicker at idle?

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2015 - 02:51 PM

It might, but I doubt it.  If you plug an LED into a wall socket, which cycles at 60Hz, you can "sort of" detect a flicker.  At 1500 RPM, your AC system should cycle a bit more than 75Hz, unless I'm missing something.

If you are using the YZF CDI, I believe you will NEED to float the ground on the stator.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Your WR426 Project! by aj1208

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

Let's see those WR's! by The Hopper Show

• Hot  708 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR426F 2002 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR426F 2002
  • * * * * -
  • 12 reviews
  • Last review by Dino Dinoso
  • On November 15, 2016
Forums
Photo

Legal WR426 Worth it? by supertaco

• 4 replies
Wiki
Quick release fender packs, Do-It-Yourself tutorial. - last post by ARin

Quick release fender packs, Do-It-Yourself tutorial.

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.