Timing marks don't line up

I adjusted my timing a few weeks back. Because, the marks on the cam gear weren't spot on. All marks lined up when i was done. Cam gear, fly wheel marks and the gear in between the clutch and water pump.

I started pulling the top end apart to put a new piston in today.

I cranked the bike till I heard the click for TDC. Then check all three timing marks. None line up at the click, TDC. when the cam lobes are facing the exhaust everything lines up.

When i adjusted it, the lobes were facing the rear of the bike. I don't know what would cause this.

The bike runs great. Except the low compression when kicking it over. I don't own a compression tester.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The "click" isn't TDC, it is the auto compression release releasing the exhaust valves so they can close to allow compression to build for starting. 

TDC is alignment of the mark on the drive gear with the mark on the case (right side), or alignment of the "T" mark on the rotor with the case (left side). 

IMO easier to use the marks on the left side.

A worn timing chain can retard the cam 1/2 tooth or 10 degrees and make starting difficult, you should be able to see that if you check the timing before pulling the cam.  If you do a top end I suggest replacing the timing chain. 

Also  after releasing the chain tensioner roll the engine forward to the timing marks and recheck the timing.

on edit: on a reread I changed the TDC mark from "F" to "T", sorry for the typing error.

Edited by Chuck.