09 450 shock weirdness

1 reply to this topic
  • MAD_POTTER

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:50 PM

I have the shock off the bike with the spring removed. I was playing around with the rebound clicker, compressing the shock then watching it extend and discovered that when I increase the rebound it makes the shock much harder to compress. I have to go to 7 clicks out before I can easily compress the shock. Why is the rebound clicker making it harder to compress? It doesn't seem right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MAD_POTTER

Posted March 24, 2015 - 11:03 PM

Never mind. I found this by grayracer (who else) :worthy:

I should search before I ask.

Here's the thread,   http://www.thumperta...ebound +clicker

The compression adjuster on either the fork or the shock (and either compression adjuster on the shock) has no effect on the rebound directly because it controls the bleed circuit on a valve assembly that doesn't have any influence on rebound. That is not the case with rebound adjusters, since the fork mid valve and the shock compression stack (at least in the case of contemporary KYB and Showa units) bleed through the rebound adjuster. But as I said, the rebound adjuster has a much greater influence on rebound than compression for the reasons I went over.

With any of the adjusters, what they actually do is to control the size of an oil circuit that allows oil to bypass the valve they are connected with. The effect is that as this circuit is opened up by backing out the adjuster needles, the valve assembly can move at a faster speed before there is enough pressure to lift the shim stack and open the ports in the piston. Once that point has been reached, the bypass controlled by the adjuster very quickly becomes almost or completely ineffective. In fact, as the speed of the shaft is increased, the oil velocity through the bypass will eventually reach a maximum, and if the oil pressure is significantly increased beyond that point, the circuit will "lock up" hydraulically, somewhat like a traffic jam, and the flow will be reduced dramatically, handing off the excess to the valving.

In the KYB fork, there is one rebound and one compression adjuster. To the extent that they control any particular valve, these influence both the high and low speed elements of the stack. It's probably true that the clickers on the fork have more effect on the low speed operation than on the high speed because of the locking phenomena just mentioned, and because the major effect of the clickers is to delay the operation of the valve stack. The higher speed elements of the stack will be less affected.

The rebound in the KYB shock will effect both low and high speed elements of the rebound and main compression stack. The shock low speed compression adjuster has a very minor influence on high speed compression, while the high speed adjuster has virtually no influence on low speed.

Also remember that "speed" in reference to damping units refers to the speed at which the unit is being compressed or extended.

Edited by MAD_POTTER, March 24, 2015 - 11:08 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.