Jumping a 4 stroke...

26 replies to this topic
  • ben_suhard

Posted February 19, 2002 - 06:58 AM

YZ400Fer69,

If the engine does stall, do as 98YZ advised and either upshift and bump start it on the landing or just keep the clutch pulled in for a smooth landing(you could then try up shifting and bump starting while the bike is still rolling after you've landed with the clutch in ).

The reaction is more like the rear of the bike lifts than the front dropping. So if you've given the bike enough gas to clear a gap or whatever, the worst senario will be a 'front wheel first' landing, and they're not really that bad. I actually like to land front wheel first on occasions, and if the bike is straight in the air, no problems. If the bike does get a bit sideways in the air, I actually prefer to land front wheel first.

I doubt you'll have any major problems. Just start off with small stuff and progress from there.

• John_Lorenz

Posted February 20, 2002 - 11:09 AM

Go Buy and jump this first
http://www.ahrma.org...hines/xl350.htm

You will never ask the question again
Geez EgoAhole Stricks again

• CAL

Posted February 20, 2002 - 01:44 PM

Hey Yz400fer69,

Did you happen to buy a pair of goggles from a guy in KY? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ldan

Posted February 21, 2002 - 06:23 PM

I have to agree with therapture. When I rode 2-strokes, I found myself using this technique more often. For me panic revs and rear taps have always been a natural reaction to the position of the bike. Not something I thought about. I think a lot of guys do it for show, but that's another issue. It comes down to two things. Body position and keeping your weight low and centered on the bike. If this is done right, it's very easy to position the bike correctly in the air. Really, as mentioned above, the compression braking naturally points the bike down for you when you release the throttle. I just don't find the need to ever use the rear brake anymore since converting to 4-strokes. Now it's more an issue of getting the front end up if I'm coming up short or want to land rear tire first.

• yz400fer69

Posted February 21, 2002 - 06:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and yes CAL i did buy some goggles from you. They are sweet.

• John_H

Posted February 21, 2002 - 09:16 PM

can't be on and off the pipe on a big-four, unlike a 2-stroke. Just not the same on the ground and in the air.

I'm getting a lot better at getting the attitude (front/back wheel) right. Just when I think I've got it I do an endo or something.

• yzernie

Posted February 21, 2002 - 09:51 PM

A pro once told me that if you have the correct technique when approaching and leaving the face of the jump, there is no need for all of this brake tapping stuff. He said the supercross tracks and jumps are the exception to the rule because you are driving off of the face of the jump until you leave the ground.

He said that on outdoor jumps, unless you are really fast, most of us don't drive all of the way off of the jump face. We usually let off just prior to lifting off and let momentum carry us over the jump.

Ernie

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.