Newb with a 03 WR450

6 replies to this topic
  • tl1ks

Posted February 13, 2004 - 01:23 PM

Hey Guys..

welcome to me! I've been on TT for a while now, gathering crumbs here and there, and was looking for a wr400/426. but ended up with a 03 wr450!

So, I've read about the woodruf key, and some starter issues.. so if there's some good posts addressing most of this lemme know.

I saw the thread about the new bushing? does this achieve the slipper that's on the 04? I recently talked with the local Yamaha shop, and they told me there is a recall that should address all the problems?

Gracias in advance for the tips

josh

• BEAN329

Posted February 13, 2004 - 04:43 PM

Buy a service manual and check the flywheel torque. I have not had a problem with mine. I did have to retorque the flywheel 3 times before it settled down. Many trail rides and races later. :)

• tigerowner_ut

Posted February 13, 2004 - 05:32 PM

Conversion from 03 starter to 04 starter

All you need to know is a the above link. Spent $340.00 today on parts to do the conversion. The bushing may save you some on parts. It would need to be pressed in to one of the covers. It also helps to compare the 03 parts catalog with te 04 on Yamahas website.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lowedog

Posted February 13, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Hey Bean, are you pulling the side case to retorque the flywheel? I need to check mine and that looks like the only way to do it.

Thanks,
Lowedog

• ddialogue

Posted February 13, 2004 - 06:20 PM

Hey Bean, are you pulling the side case to retorque the flywheel? I need to check mine and that looks like the only way to do it.

I was told that you can put the bike in 5th gear and that will hold the crank enough to tighten the flywheel nut to spec. I can't do that because of the auto-clutch so I have to take the cover completely off. I guess it's just as well since I'll probably need to replace the woodruff key at the same time. :) :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 13, 2004 - 08:00 PM

I tighten it by putting the bike in fifth and jamming a 3/8" extension between the rear sprocket and the rear chain guide. Provides enough hold for 60 ft-lbs of torque needed. Note there was a miss print in earlier manuals on the torque. :)

• tl1ks

Posted February 15, 2004 - 07:30 AM

Thanks guys.

I've been looking around on wr450.com, and getting some ideas. I'll definately be converting to the 04 setup, but will probably torque it down, and ride it for a little while before I do that. Gotta put on the pro tapers, Rad gaurds 1st.

josh

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.