Just bought an 03 450

3 replies to this topic
  • eng208

Posted March 23, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Just bought an 03 450. Found one very clean and picked it up. Supposedly has less than 20 hours on it. Anyway, it is all original just like it left the dealership. Even has what I believe to be the original rear tire. I changed the oil and checked the air filter, adjusted the chain. The bike starts well. I noticed it had a slight hesitation when rolling into the throttle at about mid range. I was thinking about dropping the needle one position to try to fix it. Any issues I should fix or upgrade right away while it is still a low hour unit?

https://drive.google...MUk&usp=sharing

I was a little dissapointed. My buddies 07 KX450 feels much stronger and more linear in power. Haven't had either on the track to check out the handling yet.

Edited by eng208, March 23, 2015 - 07:07 PM.

• G-BRO

Posted March 23, 2015 - 09:23 PM

Just bought an 03 450. Found one very clean and picked it up. Supposedly has less than 20 hours on it. Anyway, it is all original just like it left the dealership. Even has what I believe to be the original rear tire. I changed the oil and checked the air filter, adjusted the chain. The bike starts well. I noticed it had a slight hesitation when rolling into the throttle at about mid range. I was thinking about dropping the needle one position to try to fix it. Any issues I should fix or upgrade right away while it is still a low hour unit?

I was a little dissapointed. My buddies 07 KX450 feels much stronger and more linear in power. Haven't had either on the track to check out the handling yet.

Wow. I don't have any mechanical input on the bike, but man that is a good find. Nice job, that thing is clean. I don't know if I'd want to scratch it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2015 - 06:46 AM

Dropping the needle won't fix the hesitation. The needle should be in position 4, counting from the top of the needle.  You might raise it to #5, though, but that still wouldn't address the hesitation.  If you're rolling in from closed, The pilot may be to blame.  Try trimming the idle screw, or check the jet size (should be a #42-45).  It could also be partly obstructed by dried fuel film. 

• yzdaddy

Posted March 25, 2015 - 04:37 AM

You have no business with that thing you ll get hurt contact me and I ll come get it. lol I have an 03 that I bought new in 02 it had the hell raced out of it for 2 years mx and cc  those motors are bullet proof if you do regular maintenance. I really like the 4 speed thats why I have hung on to it and still ride it at least once a month. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.