How are you getting a torque wrench on the drain plug - 2014 YZ450

16 replies to this topic
  • jcm3

Posted March 23, 2015 - 06:54 AM

Did a bunch of searches, including Google.  Unless I'm an idiot, what brain trust designed the oil drain bolt on these things so that you couldn't get a torque wrench on it?  Isn't this one of the most stripped out bolts on a modern motocross bike?

I just snugged it down with a wrench, which I probably assume is good enough.  But what is everyone else doing?  I didn't try using a 1/4" drive ratchet or anything, but couldn't get a socket on the bolt even when using a swivel socket.  Odd.

On my other bikes I like to use a drain plug that I can use some safety wire on, but the confines down there are pretty tight.

Interesting design.  :facepalm:

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2015 - 08:16 AM

I don't think I've used a torque wrench on a drain plug of any kind for 30 years, maybe longer.  Not on many other things either.  Head bolts, cam caps, nuts on tapered shafts, internal suspension parts, yes, but most other things simply aren't critical enough to warrant it if you have any kind of "feel" for machinery and some common sense.  Nonetheless, what you need for access to a bolt like that is a "torque wrench adapter".  Two examples are shown here.  If you can, use the adapter at 90 degrees to the torque wrench as illustrated and it will be very close to direct reading.  Otherwise, you need to do a calculation based on the formulas illustrated in the fourth picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0218354.jpg
  • torque.gif
  • 90degstraight.jpg
  • 0996b43f80e42b5c.gif

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted March 23, 2015 - 08:32 AM

Just tighten it with your hand close to the ratchet not the end of handle so you can feel better without all that leverage . no need for a torque wrench on things like that.....

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2015 - 08:50 AM

Just tighten it with your hand close to the ratchet not the end of handle so you can feel better without all that leverage . no need for a torque wrench on things like that.....

If you learn the correct "feel" and feedback from the fasteners, you can feel it in a 3 foot long bar.

• jcm3

Posted March 23, 2015 - 09:43 AM

OK, thanks guys.  I've never stripped out a drain plug, but after reading all of the posts on how often others are stripping them out I wanted to play it safe with the newer bike.

I'll just keep doing it the way I did it yesterday, by hand.  :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2015 - 09:54 AM

I find myself somewhat bewildered at times by how easily some people are able to rip the threads out of stuff.  Other things, too.

• jcm3

Posted March 23, 2015 - 12:15 PM

I find myself somewhat bewildered at times by how easily some people are able to rip the threads out of stuff.  Other things, too.

I used to have a buddy names Hans when I was in the Army who was a strong dude, but not the most endowed with brains.  A buddy and I were cracking up watching him work on his car one day.  He had one of those star lug nut tools and he was loosening and re-tightening his lug nuts (not sure why). 

He snapped off three or four, don't really remember at this point.  I wanted to give him some pointers, but it was so damned funny that we just had watch.

I agree.

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted March 23, 2015 - 12:30 PM

Not everybody has the "feel" gray. In that case don't use the leverage and you won't need the "feel"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2015 - 12:49 PM

Yes, you will.  Otherwise, you may not get it tight enough.  It's something you teach yourself by thinking about what you're doing and about what's happening.  Not even I was born with it.

• Isaac G

Posted March 24, 2015 - 04:59 AM

I use the Motion Pro torque wrench adapter, and my drain plug hasn't fallen out yet!!!  :)

https://www.rockymou...-Wrench-Adaptor

Isaac

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2015 - 07:05 AM

"Yet"?  :naughty:

• Isaac G

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Man I hope it never does! I had a friend who had his fall out. Bum deal! He didnt use a torque wrench tho. Locked up the engine.

Edited by Isaac G, March 24, 2015 - 10:28 AM.

• MJP68

Posted March 26, 2015 - 07:06 PM

It takes time to get the feel, with drain plugs its simple. Fresh crush washer, finger tight then 1/4 to 1/2 turn. You should be able to "feel" the washer crush. 

Just like spinning the oil filter on a car.... If you happen to be handy enough to do your own car maint..

never doubt the Grayracer

• jcm3

Posted March 26, 2015 - 08:29 PM

It takes time to get the feel, with drain plugs its simple. Fresh crush washer, finger tight then 1/4 to 1/2 turn. You should be able to "feel" the washer crush. 

Just like spinning the oil filter on a car.... If you happen to be handy enough to do your own car maint..

never doubt the Grayracer

You know, it's funny.  I've had about 15 motocross bikes in my life, and when I was younger I didn't really do much maintenance, never really looked at the owners manual, didn't use a torque wrench, etc.  As I've gotten older I've gotten a lot more anal about stuff, whether it be maintenance, getting my suspension done, using fresh tires, using a torque wrench on everything, etc.  I get both sides of this, but it does seem odd that you can't really even get a torque wrench on it.

I don't think I've ever had another MX bike that had an oil drain bolt that you couldn't get one on, which is odd.  :banghead:

• jcm3

Posted March 26, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Btw, any idea when we'll start seeing the 2014 parts diagrams online?  I checked Thumpertalk, Partzilla, and a few others.  I wanted to order some spare copper crush washers to make sure I use a new one each time, as I tend to reuse it.

Edit - found one here:  http://www.yamahapar...a81ca/crankcase

Edited by jcm3, March 26, 2015 - 08:35 PM.

• MJP68

Posted March 26, 2015 - 08:49 PM

You know, it's funny.  I've had about 15 motocross bikes in my life, and when I was younger I didn't really do much maintenance, never really looked at the owners manual, didn't use a torque wrench, etc.  As I've gotten older I've gotten a lot more anal about stuff, whether it be maintenance, getting my suspension done, using fresh tires, using a torque wrench on everything, etc.  I get both sides of this, but it does seem odd that you can't really even get a torque wrench on it.

I don't think I've ever had another MX bike that had an oil drain bolt that you couldn't get one on, which is odd.  :banghead:

Thank god for 2 strokes, my first few bikes in the mid 80's rarely had proper maint. Times change, bikes change. Maintenance is much more critical now. Likewise my ass is much tighter

than it used to be. Grey pointed out a few ways to be able to use a torque wrench for bolts in shitty locations. sounds to me like you have the mental skills to meter your torque using a normal wrench.. SNUG is fine, tugging till something breaks is not.. 

• MJP68

Posted March 26, 2015 - 08:51 PM

I buy from rockymountainatvmc almost exclusively. their OE parts are almost always up to date

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.