Cam installation

7 replies to this topic
  • Yzrider1023

Posted March 22, 2015 - 04:53 PM

I was trying to install my cams the other day and the chain seemed to be really tight so are there any tricks to get them in my bike is a 2006 yz450f

• xy500

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:28 PM

Have you checked the obvious stuff? Like is the chain tensioner released/removed?

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:34 PM

They can be tricky to put in sometimes. I always have to get it around the sprocket before setting it into the journals

• Yzrider1023

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:55 PM

Have you checked the obvious stuff? Like is the chain tensioner released/removed?

Yes I have

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2015 - 07:54 AM

The chain can sometimes drop off the bottom side of the crank sprocket so that there's an extra link drooping off under it instead of it laying against the sprocket all the way 'round.  You may have to pull the flywheel to straighten that out. 

Normally, you can't set both cams in the head and then run the chain over them,  First, loop the chain over the exhaust cam (or in the case of the '10 or later models, the intake cam, in front of the head) and set it in place with the timing marks on the crank and cam aligned and the slack pulled out of the chain on the front, between the crank and the cam.  Then, loop the chain over the intake (rear) cam with the cam up in the middle of the head as shown.  You can get very close to, if not exactly being timed right the first time by counting chain pins between the two "12:00 o'clock" marks on the cam when you preposition the cam this way.  Again, see the picture.  From this point, roll the cam sprocket counterclockwise as you move the camshaft back and down into its saddle. 

cams_zpsafb75590.jpg

• Yzrider1023

Posted March 23, 2015 - 08:07 AM

The chain can sometimes drop off the bottom side of the crank sprocket so that there's an extra link drooping off under it instead of it laying against the sprocket all the way 'round. You may have to pull the flywheel to straighten that out.

Normally, you can't set both cams in the head and then run the chain over them, First, loop the chain over the exhaust cam (or in the case of the '10 or later models, the intake cam, in front of the head) and set it in place with the timing marks on the crank and cam aligned and the slack pulled out of the chain on the front, between the crank and the cam. Then, loop the chain over the intake (rear) cam with the cam up in the middle of the head as shown. You can get very close to, if not exactly being timed right the first time by counting chain pins between the two "12:00 o'clock" marks on the cam when you preposition the cam this way. Again, see the picture. From this point, roll the cam sprocket counterclockwise as you move the camshaft back and down into its saddle.

cams_zpsafb75590.jpg

Thanks for the answer ..the cam chain did fall off of the sprocket but I got to back on without pulling the flywheel and the chain turns freely do you think I still have to pull it?

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Not if you got it re-engaged correctly, no.  But you need to be sure, because it can sometimes allow the crank to turn smoothly by hand without a load on the chain, in spite of there being a link "looped under" at the bottom.  If you can get it assembled by the method illustrated, and end up with slack in the chain while the tensioner is removed or backed out, you should be OK.

• Yzrider1023

Posted March 23, 2015 - 12:51 PM

Not if you got it re-engaged correctly, no. But you need to be sure, because it can sometimes allow the crank to turn smoothly by hand without a load on the chain, in spite of there being a link "looped under" at the bottom. If you can get it assembled by the method illustrated, and end up with slack in the chain while the tensioner is removed or backed out, you should be OK.

I don't have to much slack but I do have a little bit of slack I put it all together and had a bad head gasket so I will try to make sure now that its back apart again

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.