WR400f LED headlight help!

6 replies to this topic
  • Qweasy3

Posted March 21, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Its a 1998 WR400f, and it runs great. But the headlight goes out as soon as i rev up the bike. It just started doing this. The lights worked fine when i first put them on.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=YF81HZNYJzI

• JVP

Posted March 23, 2015 - 10:30 AM

My guess is your DC converter for the LED is bad. Unless you changed your Stator to a DC system, your headlight runs on AC. You need a DC converter to make it work...

• Qweasy3

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:35 AM

My guess is your DC converter for the LED is bad. Unless you changed your Stator to a DC system, your headlight runs on AC. You need a DC converter to make it work...

Yeah i just figured that out. My stator output is AC. I need a bridge rectifier

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted March 23, 2015 - 11:52 AM

Just float the ground on your stator so you don't waste the AC power. I did this on my 06 WR450 and was able to run a 35w HiD, grip heaters and use electric start all I wanted without issue.

• bobpara

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Any idea how 'hot' a bulb you can put inside the headlight shell without melting something?

Maybe an HID or LED conversion unit???

I did the Baja Conversion and just stayed with the stock bulb

Its not too bright, would like something brighter w/o melting something

• bobpara

Posted March 24, 2015 - 10:31 AM

Thats one of the tighter headlight shell areas I've seen and virtually ALL of the bikes wiring is right there behind the headlight. A meltdown would be insanely costly.

• Qweasy3

Posted March 25, 2015 - 02:07 AM

Got a bridge rectifier, a diode and a capacitor wired up. I do need a bigger capacitor because it still flickers pretty bad at idle. Otherwise its working great. Used this video as a reference:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.