Opinions on a Yamalink

2 replies to this topic
  • Bturner

Posted March 20, 2015 - 06:46 PM

I've been researching lowering links lately for my 2009. There seems to be a lot of positive reviews & info out there. I found a guy w/ a used one for $100 that I'm purchasing this weekend. I was just curious to the guys that run them, how is it?

My bike is valved for the woods & sprung for my weight. I'm 200#, 5'10". I ride/race in the woods & I could stand for the rear end to loose an inch or so.

The rear spring is actually a little stiffer for my weight per the RT chart. I read that when you install a Yamalink you need to adjust the sag & get a 20% stiffer rear shock, so if that's correct, my coil will be perfect for it. I'll just need to adjust the sag.

With all that being said, did you guys notice the difference in cornering, handling & the front end feel? Does it feel to short or is an inch not that noticeable unless your putting your feet down on a steep rocky hill? Is there anything special I should about set up or riding style after I install it? Thanks for any feedback!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2015 - 08:20 AM

The Yamalink is a well made product.  The question centers not so much on whether it's a good link or a bad link, but on how the bike responds to the change in linkage geometry. 

Understand two important things; first that if you lower the back, you will upset the steering geometry in front unless the front is also lowered a like amount, and, that the linkage is designed to create a "rising rate" of shock compression.  That is, the shock is compressed progressively farther and faster for each successive inch of rear wheel travel. 

Altering the length of the connecting link changes the linkage rate.  Changing the rate is something that affects rear suspension behavior in ways that will only be apparent under more severe or extreme  circumstances, such as MX or other racing and higher speed riding.  It might never bother a recreational rider, but the '06-'09 YZF has usually turned out to work better with the stock linkage rates than with any of the linkages intended to modify rate.  For that reason, very few people even make links for the YZF for any reason other than lowering, and lowering will change the linkage rates.

Lowering the rear makes the steering head angle shallower, which makes the bike push more.  Not a good thing on a bike that already has a tendency to do that.  The fork can only be puled up in the clamps just so far to compensate.  You can run them up about 15-17mm without modifying anything, but that's about it.

The lowered bike will sit exactly like it does as far as peg and handlebar feel, but it should feel easier to bank in and out of turns with the lower CG. 

You might like it, you might not.

• Bturner

Posted March 21, 2015 - 10:09 PM

Thanks Gray. Good info. A lot of things to think about.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.