Alberta dirtbike regulations

Hey guys.

i was just wondering what the deal is for dirbikes out on crown land are places like Waiparous, and Bruderheim,

my current bike has headlight and taillight, but i'm looking at getting a second bike. and there isn't a lot of options for bikes with lights, i know ones without can be insured and registered but will i get in trouble for riding a bike without head/tail lights?

Thanks,

Also, once i get my dirtbike up and running ill be looking for people to ride with I'm based out of Edmonton

On crown/public land you are required to have a headlight and tail light, along with the proper registration and insurance. Even thought it is the law it seams like 9 out of 10 people don't. Which in most cases for them isn't a problem. There is far to little enforcement my conservation officers in this province to make people concerned i guess. But if you are following the rules like you should than yes, you need them. There are several lighting options out for bikes that don't come with lights. Just check out some stores like and "Gnarly Parts" or "Canada's motorcycle"  and see what they got.

Thanks, kinda figured that. But I have seen guys out without lights, at the same time as I've seen officers out. some seemed to care and peace out (i assume more nor no insurance/registration) others seem to just keep going about there riding. 

The problem with Alberta is that it just doesn't have enough CO's to handle any of the problems. The government doesn't find our natural resources very important so they are very poorly funded, which results in very few CO's.  Being poorly funded they cant be out on the trails catching people in the act of braking the law; like Monk said, If checked by a CO it will likely be at your truck. But that is still no reason the brake the law and not follow the rules. A group of around 5 people that i knew were fined around $350 each for braking some laws while ridding. Im not sure for certain but from what i heard a CO caught them far off the designated trails without proper lighting and bike registration. So people need to understand that they are out there and checking, so you may as well just follow the simple rules, or have the chance of getting caught and paying the price.

I have a CO buddy that I ride with when I was running my cr 250 he would give me grief about no headlight or tail light so I went to the hardware store and bought a red flashing mountain bike clip on light zip tied it to back fender and bought a dot it light and glued it to the front so for 20 bucks he was completely happy said that was absolutely perfect to not get hassled or fined in alberta.... what I find funny is they will fine you for no lights but you can ride around with no Helmut and not even get a second look... priorities I guess... I also decided after forgetting my insurance and registration every time to wrap it up in a zip lock bag and velcro ' ed it to my handlebar no fines or warnings since... now I just run street legal bikes way easier

I have a CO buddy that I ride with when I was running my cr 250 he would give me grief about no headlight or tail light so I went to the hardware store and bought a red flashing mountain bike clip on light zip tied it to back fender and bought a dot it light and glued it to the front so for 20 bucks he was completely happy said that was absolutely perfect to not get hassled or fined in alberta

This is what i did when i first started ridding. I taped a small flashlight to the front and back of my bike. It was completely useless as a lighting system, but it made my bike legal and that's all i cared about.

And for my paper work, i also use to just put it in my boot. Which worked great for a long time, until i lost it at the trail forgetting it was in my boot. I now keep it in a waterproof bag, taped to the back side of the front number plate.