Soooo, is my mechanic trying to dick me? Re: low compression, among other things.

07 Suz DR650se. 80k miles.

1) Starts having problems starting, but only when the engine is warm. If it's not been run in a few hours, it starts right up, no probs.

2) finally just decides to not start. Cranks just fine, eventually smells flooded.

3) I push it to the local bike shop.

4) They say no spark, they say it's the charging system, needs a new stator. Stator gets there, stator cover gasket takes more than a month to arrive, for reasons of weather on the east coast and union shit at the docks in Long Beach, God only knows.

5) new stator is in, the bike has spark, but no starty. Compression is low (70 lbs), they adjust the valves (first valve job in 80k miles, lol), compression is now a whopping 85 psi, but she still no starty. 

6) They say, maybe it's the CDI box but there's no way to be sure, only thing we can do is get a new $600 cdi box/used $400 cdi box and see what happens.

At this point they've had my god damn DR650 for 2.5 months. Are my mechanics incompetent or crooks or both?  Is there any way in hell a DR with 85 lbs of compression would start at all regardless of the danged CDI/stator?

80 k is allot for a single cylinder . I would imagine a new top end is in order. and are you serious you never  adjusted the valves in 80 thousand miles?!  that's impressive that the engine lasted that long, but sad that you neglected it that bad