2006 carb on 2003 bike?

11 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted March 19, 2015 - 03:03 PM

I was wondering if there would be any problems from putting a 2006 carb on a 2003 bike. Do I need to swap anything to make it work? Mine is fairly corroded, and I can get the carb fairly cheap. 

I might be able to get other parts too. My bike hasn't had the starter clutch upgrade done, would 2006 parts work?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:18 PM

Carb yes

Starter clutch no

Must use 2003.5 or 2004 parts

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Carb yes

Starter clutch no

Must use 2003.5 or 2004 parts

Not true...

Starter clutch as defined by Yamaha is the "one-way" clutch on the back of the flywheel.   Those are all the same

from 2003 to 2013.

If you are referring to the starter parts normally upgraded on 2003 models, that would be the "damper assembly"

which is the same 2004 to 2006.   This part can be swapped to the 2003 if he also transfers the stator cover.

Otherwise, he needs a bushing and the small cover that goes over the damper.

• toten

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Yes, the damper assembly is what I'm talking about. Sorry for the wrong terminology. 

Is there a good reason to go with the newer cover rather than the bushing? The small cover is needed either way, right?

• toten

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Does the bushing mean that I don't need to replace the small cover that makes it easy to tell if the starter has been upgraded? Or where does it go?

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted March 19, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Does the bushing mean that I don't need to replace the small cover that makes it easy to tell if the starter has been upgraded? Or where does it go?

You cannot use the small cover from the 2003...  the damper will not fit inside it.  That is why the newer ones are bulged.

You need the bushing to make the damper fit in the 2003 stator cover.   The hole for the damper shaft is larger than on the

2004+ cover.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 19, 2015 - 09:39 PM

yeah that's what I meant

• toten

Posted March 20, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Can I use the small cover from the 2006? It appears to be a different part # than 2004. 

• toten

Posted March 20, 2015 - 08:20 PM

uO6Zmg0.jpg

Can anyone tell me which of those parts I need?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 21, 2015 - 06:13 PM

You need a service manual BADLY

• toten

Posted March 22, 2015 - 12:37 AM

I have a service manual. The seller took the picture, not me. I can ID air filter, clutch, and some covers. The part attached to the large gear in the cover at bottom right appears to be a sprag clutch, I'm not sure what the damper that's problematic on the 2003 looks like, but the parts fiche appears significantly different between the two so I'm not sure how my service manual would help. 

Is the damper attached to the smaller round cover at bottom left?

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted March 22, 2015 - 06:47 AM

I have a service manual. The seller took the picture, not me. I can ID air filter, clutch, and some covers. The part attached to the large gear in the cover at bottom right appears to be a sprag clutch, I'm not sure what the damper that's problematic on the 2003 looks like, but the parts fiche appears significantly different between the two so I'm not sure how my service manual would help. 

Is the damper attached to the smaller round cover at bottom left?

Yes, that is the damper on the lower left...      if you want to do the upgrade on your 2003 without buying any other parts

you should get the damper, the cover it is sitting in, and the stator cover to the right.  You don't really need any of the

other parts for that upgrade but if they are cheap grab them anyway for spares.

You CAN use your stator cover, but you need to buy a bushing from Yamaha to make it work.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.