2015 YZ 450 harescramble/enduro bike?

24 replies to this topic
  • Crusty Cy

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:08 AM

I wouldn't do it. Tried to make the 450's work for 2 years in the woods and it just didn't work out for me. Alhough the fueling on the 2015 is much better than my 11 and 12's were, I do not plan on racing a hare scramble with it. First gear too tall, 2-3 kick starts (more when hot), and the overall weight are just not conducive to great lap times. If you're a top pro, it's manageable, but otherwise stick with the 2T or go with the 250FX.

• Gunner354

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:42 AM

This discussion reminds me why I went to the yz from the wr years ago. At that point I felt like the weight and suspension were really holding me back, after getting into a yz I know I made the right choice. Even stock the suspension allows me to get away with things the wr would have bucked me off for doing. The faster you go off road the more it rewards you and it takes hits that most woods bikes can't. One friend has had his 2014 300xc revalved twice by a very reputable company I won't name here and he's still not happy. Every time he complains I just laugh knowing I spent 2k less on my yz and didn't have to modify the suspension. Another surprising point is that when we're all chugging up an impossible hill or through tight woods my bike doesn't boil over quite as quickly. It's bad enough at times that 2 or 3 of them have installed fans. Not saying the yz doesn't boil over when you abuse it, just seems to take a little longer.

Change your coolant out with Evans and you will never loose a drop. Boiling point is 375*. Yes you need to be smart and know when your motor is to hot to push more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzUSMCf

Posted March 20, 2015 - 07:01 AM

I like my yz because it's a race machine with great suspention and a nasty fast motor .I like to go fast not nessacerally cruze through the woods I also ride track, open desert and tight steep rocky sections. so that's why I got a yz not a wr. Yes you have to pay more attention to the clutch while at low speed which can be fixed .The suspension has saved my ass big time a few times for instance I've been 5th pinned through the desert and have come across small deep wash were I had no choice but to pin it and hold on it sucks it up..and I always seem to come out lucky (knock on wood) if I was on a wr I would be OTB and into the hospital . If I just rode enduro and cursed around I would have bought something different. But sence I ride many types of terrain and the bike does well all around which is what I want. We're as if you took a wr on the track it would take alot more effort to get it were you want imo.

• bigbird192

Posted March 20, 2015 - 08:23 AM

I ride/race a 14 yz450 in the desert and love it. But, I wish it was more agile at times. I have never heard anyone refer to the yz as being nimble, and I would think that would be one of the most important characteristics for a woods bike. The yz corners well if you set up for the entry properly. That is not a problem on an mx track, but stuff has a way of sneaking up on you when off road. I think this is where the euro bikes and 2 strokes tend to excel.

• ranam

Posted March 20, 2015 - 10:16 AM

I use my 07 YZ 450 in the tight woods and trails here in the UP and love it, but i learned on an xr 400, which i also loved till i got the yz. 1st couple rides i stalled alot but now i hardly ever stall it. Mine starts first kick easy, way easier then the xr did. I will put evans in  it, has skid plate and bark busters, maybe a recluse someday.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.