2015 YZ 450 harescramble/enduro bike?

24 replies to this topic
  • Superbike Mike

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:21 AM

I have been looking at new bikes a lot lately.   I have spent the last 7 years on a YZ 250.  I did everything to it at one time or another.  295 kit, Rekluse on and on.  It was a great bike no doubt.  To be honest I got bored with it.  I am a 240lb harescramble/enduro/play rider from Michigan for a little background.   I was thinking about the 250fx.  I just don't see being happy with that bike once the trail opens up or on a moto track at my weight.  I am sure mid summer I will be 210-220 easily but still i think I would wear it out pretty fast.  That leaves the YZ 450.  Looks to be about the same size as the 250f and plenty of power.  I am thinking a fly wheel weight,hand guards and springs she should rip.  Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?  I would love any input and comments.  I am really on the fence.

• yzUSMCf

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:52 AM

I have a 2014 yz450f I ride track and desert it has great power and suspension does great in the desert and track with gobs of power I weigh about 210 in gear. I love the bike also coming off a yz250 and I wouldn't go back. The yz250f and 450 share the same frame as well as many other parts I beleve everything but the motor is the same on both bikes . You won't be disappointed. As with every bike you can mod it to suit your type of riding. I've also ridden the 15 450 and a 15 kx450f

Attached Thumbnails

• 1426780262425.jpg

• drtrcr400

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:01 AM

I ride my 2014 almost exclusively off-road and absolutely love it. Sure, there are times I wish it had a wide ratio transmission but I remind myself I don't need to go 90+ mph anymore. For reference I'm 200lbs without gear, run a taller bar, bigger tank, skid plate and hand guards. I was planning on doing the GYTR flywheel but they took so long to release it I just got used to riding the bike stock. Honestly at this point I don't think I'll bother and just put the extra money into tires or maybe build an 18" rear wheel. Most of my friends ride KTM 300's and they work really well here in the PNW. The only place I think they have any kind of edge though is getting through tight 1st gear sections, but that can be made up for in between the corners. Almost forgot, get an over sized front rotor kit, I've got the inexpensive Tusk version and it works very well.

• Superbike Mike

Posted March 19, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Thanks! If you have no issues keeping up with the 300 in pacific nort west, I should not have issues here much if at all. Thanks guys.

• Superbike Mike

Posted March 19, 2015 - 04:56 PM

What is the top speed of the bike stock? My main concern is stalling/starting issues. A flywheel weight would help with that I would think. I was bouncing on one at the dealer today. Actually felt light anf the clutch pull was pretty light

• Monk

Posted March 19, 2015 - 05:11 PM

It's a great bike for racing. I've raced multiple times in Washington and my YZ450F is by far the best bike I've raced. Power, suspension, handling etc etc make the bike awesome from the right woods to the wide open track...

• xXHaNsEnXx

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:03 PM

I bought my 14 in June of last year and rode a lot of trail. Put some bark busters and 51 sprocket on it and really liked it. Since there's still a lot of snow up high this spring I've been riding a lil bit track. Which has forced me to start playing with my suspension a lil bit more. And it's like I fell in love with the bike all over again. The bikes a bada** and I'd definitely recommend it to a guy your size

• greenhammer75

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Man honestly I would not get a yz450 for endro riding or mostly off-road riding. I have a yz450 and love it at the track, dunes, desert but not in the woods. I also have a TE 300 and there is a major advantage over an mx bike in the woods. Even with a fww, 18", wheel, rekluse and so on the yz 450 will be a handful. They over heat, stall easy no Estart and engine braking will wear you out. If 4t is what your after the crf450x or ktm 350/450 xc or husky fe 450 would be a better choice. If they come out with a 450 fx next year than I'd consider that too. It's tough to beat a yamaha I love mine but not in the woods. Just my 2cents

• Superbike Mike

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:25 PM

It does not seem to slow Baylor down.  he could ride the 2 stroke or 250f and chooses the 450.  I do agree the 350 could be a viable option. The suspension on the KTM/Husky is not very impressive. CRF450X?  Not even a thought.  I have been on a YZ 250 the last 7 years.  I am ready for something different.  What year YZ do you have green hammer?

Edited by Superbike Mike, March 19, 2015 - 07:31 PM.

• greenhammer75

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:38 PM

I've got an '07 yz. I did everything to get that bike more woods friendly. One day rode my buddy's 450 xc and a husaberg 450 and couldn't believe how much of a difference there was. So I went out and bought a te 300 and haven't looked back. It's just absolutely awesome what those types of bikes can do. They are built for off road riding. I wouldn't worry about keeping up in the open areas either they're every bit as fast. I've got v4 reeds and the red power valve sping in mine and it absolutely rips!!!

Edited by greenhammer75, March 19, 2015 - 07:40 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:42 PM

I've got an '07 yz. I did everything to get that bike more woods friendly. One day rode my buddy's 450 xc and a husaberg 450 and couldn't believe how much of a difference there was. So I went out and bought a te 300 and haven't looked back. It's just absolutely awesome what those types of bikes can do. They are built for off road riding. I wouldn't worry about keeping up in the open areas either they're every bit as fast. I've got v4 reeds and the red power valve sping in mine and it absolutely rips!!!

Comparing a 07 to a 15 is like comparing a Ferrari to a Mustang. They just aren't even close to being in the same league...

• greenhammer75

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hey monk I won't disagree with that the '15 yz 450 is probably the most bad a$$ mx bike on the market right now and especially compared to an '07. But still take a stock yz450 and a stock 450 xcf or xcf/w or a bike like that out on the trail and the advantages are overwhelming in the off road bikes favor. I hated trying to kick start my yz when it was hot on a hill in the mud. My buddy just traded his '14 yz450 for a beta 300 and he could ride the piss out of that yamaha in the pnw woods but now he's totally sold on the endro bikes. I guess what I'm saying is it's still a bike built for the track.

Edited by greenhammer75, March 19, 2015 - 08:01 PM.

• Monk

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hey monk I won't disagree with that the '15 yz 450 is probably the most bad a$$ mx bike on the market right now and especially compared to an '07. But still take a stock yz450 and a stock 450 xcf or xcf/w or a bike like that out on the trail and the advantages are overwhelming in the off road bikes favor. I hated trying to kick start my yz when it was hot on a hill in the mud. My buddy just traded his '14 yz450 for a beta 300 and he could ride the piss out of that yamaha in the pnw woods but now he's totally sold on the endro bikes. I guess what I'm saying is it's still a bike built for the track.

There is nothing unique about a 450xcf. It's a slightly detuned 450sxf version with a big tank and 18in wheel. Yes, the XCFW is a different mule all together but it's still a 450.

As for the kick-start issues. FI has done wonders for these bikes. Most of the time (if not all) it's a 1 kick deal, unlike the carb version. You have to take into account there is 9yrs worth of R&D between a 07-15 and 3 different generations of YZ450F...

• greenhammer75

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:21 PM

That's cool. 9 years worth of r&d for a bike built for the track not for the woods, right.? To each there own. I'd rather use the right tool for the job. Track go for the yz- woods endro type bike. I guess you could try and turn a yz 450 into a 450 fx but why not buy the right bike right out of the gate. If they do come out with a 450 fx I'm definitely going to check it out. But for now the euro bikes make the most sense for the woods.

• xXHaNsEnXx

Posted March 19, 2015 - 09:22 PM

That's cool. 9 years worth of r&d for a bike built for the track not for the woods, right.? To each there own. I'd rather use the right tool for the job. Track go for the yz- woods endro type bike. I guess you could try and turn a yz 450 into a 450 fx but why not buy the right bike right out of the gate. If they do come out with a 450 fx I'm definitely going to check it out. But for now the euro bikes make the most sense for the woods.

i would agree with that. They aren't perfect woods bikes. Very rarely does mine ever start on the first kick. Never have over heated though. Plus if you are doing 3 hour races and have to refuel the seat cap over the gas tank would be a pain. Everything can be fixed with money. But it sucks to still have a good size list of extras after spending 8000 on a bike

• Monk

Posted March 19, 2015 - 09:27 PM

i would agree with that. They aren't perfect woods bikes. Very rarely does mine ever start on the first kick. Never have over heated though. Plus if you are doing 3 hour races and have to refuel the seat cap over the gas tank would be a pain. Everything can be fixed with money. But it sucks to still have a good size list of extras after spending 8000 on a bike

20150319_133045_zpswmlrmrta.jpg

• xXHaNsEnXx

Posted March 19, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Not saying i regret buying my bike at all. And I've rode the the 300 husaberg and wasn't jealous at all. I'm just saying if he's a woods rider first. There are better suited bikes. Me personally I would do as monk says or has done and just buy the tank or flywheel. Or even the 18 inch rim. Yamaha is bullet proof and can put a smile on my face every time I twist the throttle.

• Superbike Mike

Posted March 20, 2015 - 02:59 AM

All great points. I dont see the "track bike" argument as all that valid. The 250fx has the same gas tank situation too. Most all the GNCC guys running 350's are (Delong,Sipes) are running the FC 350. This is the moto version. So I can spend $1500 more to get a KTM/Husky. Then dump even more in the 4cs fork. Estart would be nice! yz needs a fww,hand gaurds and a tank. Power tuner too. The 15 is allegedly very smooth off the bottom too compared even to the 14. I really value all the pro/con stuff here. Alot of the cons would also apply to the YZ 250 2t. We all know what a weapon that is in the woods... so it comes down to controlable power down low with the full YZ rip up top. Making the bike less stall prone (Rekluse would eliminate this issue) and smooth off the bottom. I cant see the crfx being any better than the wr. Which just wont work for my use. One thing with Yamaha. The chasis rocks. Suspension rules. Such a dilema.

• LeanBurn

Posted March 20, 2015 - 04:30 AM

I've had several "offroad" bikes, after a while I was spending money hopping them up to make them more like the mx bikes. So for the last couple of years I've been buying the mx bikes ($1000-$1500 less) and detuning for offroad. Bibs, (no need for 18" wheel), Rekluse (takes care of E-start and FWW) and hand guards. With the Rekluse I can gear them up so top speed is acceptable, 1st gear is pretty fast, but it forces you to ride those situations faster, the Rekluse takes care of those sticky situations. That's my current philosophy. I like my 15 YZ250F so much that I'm about to add a YZ450F to the stable.

• drtrcr400

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:00 AM

This discussion reminds me why I went to the yz from the wr years ago. At that point I felt like the weight and suspension were really holding me back, after getting into a yz I know I made the right choice. Even stock the suspension allows me to get away with things the wr would have bucked me off for doing. The faster you go off road the more it rewards you and it takes hits that most woods bikes can't. One friend has had his 2014 300xc revalved twice by a very reputable company I won't name here and he's still not happy. Every time he complains I just laugh knowing I spent 2k less on my yz and didn't have to modify the suspension. Another surprising point is that when we're all chugging up an impossible hill or through tight woods my bike doesn't boil over quite as quickly. It's bad enough at times that 2 or 3 of them have installed fans. Not saying the yz doesn't boil over when you abuse it, just seems to take a little longer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.