bit of rust in carb

13 replies to this topic
  • YamahaRideOne

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys, so far i have found somewhat of my problem on my 06 WR450F is, but when i was in the carb i found a little bit of rust in the AP i had to guy a new rubber piece as it was all rusted, but there is a little rust on the inside still... the carb cleaner took off most of it but there is still a little there. should i be concerned with this ? if so what do you recommend using? 

Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:59 PM

You want to remove all corrosion

Use Pine sol, stiff fishing line for the passages, and spray cleaner like brake cleaner ( or strong compressed air) 

The accelerator pump has a check ball inside the float bowl cover that needs to move freely, and usually is shot if you see any rust in the bowl

That's when you upgrade to the 2008 Honda specs.

Search accelerator pump upgrade

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Your talking the AP cover? The part that comes off when you unscrew it? Is so that part was all clean and when i soacked it in carb cleaner i had no blockage in the holes. All the holes allowed carb cleaner to spray outof another hole.

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Also its not in the bowl it was around the metal piece on the diaphragm

• ThumpMe

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:18 AM

Those steel pieces on the diaphragm due tend to get rusty. Clean it off best you can. I have also found you can get this stuff called Evaporust off the internet or sometimes Home Depot carries it. It works WONDERS for removing rust. Do not think it will hurt rubber but just to be sure apply it with a q-tip if using it, and then be sure to wash it all off once done.

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:36 AM

I already ordered the diaphragm. It was bad. The carb itself only has a little spot. But the diaphragm was stuffed with sand and dirt. There is this stuff called metal rescue it seems like it could do exactly what i want.

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Ah yeah. Same kinda stuff as metal rescue

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JMundy

Posted March 19, 2015 - 03:33 PM

I already ordered the diaphragm. It was bad. The carb itself only has a little spot. But the diaphragm was stuffed with sand and dirt. There is this stuff called metal rescue it seems like it could do exactly what i want.

what diaphram did you order.  I would HIGHLY recommend you follow Kah Ran Nee's advice and do the crfsonly.com acc pump upgrade.  World of difference on my 07 WR450

• toten

Posted March 19, 2015 - 04:55 PM

http://www.crfsonly....roducts_id/3932is that the upgrade you're talking about?

• JMundy

Posted March 19, 2015 - 04:57 PM

http://www.crfsonly....roducts_id/3932is that the upgrade you're talking about?

Yep! Get a stiffer acc pump linkage spring. I got mine from tokyomods.com

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 19, 2015 - 05:11 PM

i ordered a new stock one. im not to worried about any upgrades until i get it running again..... it did run before i failed to do maintenance due to be being new to bikes when i got it. and it was beastly when it ran no problems there. i'm not concerned with the diaphragm i'm more wondering about the small rust spot on the carb itself.

• ThumpMe

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:53 PM

Is it just a discoloration on the carb? Rust can sometimes stain stuff and it is a bear to get the stain removed, but usually it will not affect anything, just looks ugly.

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 20, 2015 - 06:43 AM

it could just be a stain, stuff came off with the carb cleaner, its just a small spot that i couldn't seem to get off. but now that i think about it it was just color. the diaphragm was the part that actually had rust on it. was brown and white. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 20, 2015 - 06:13 PM

Nothing to worry about

The CHECK BALL in the bowl cover, is probably corroded to, so free it up, or so the upgrade like I mentioned.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.