Friday the 13th

11 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted February 13, 2004 - 01:59 AM

Only I was stupid enough to buy a bike on Friday the 13th :) Test ride went fine, but 15 min after I owned it 5th gear no longer existed :D Suspected rounded out dogs. Is this a common thing for 2001 wr's or was I just unlucky?? Been there done that with my zxr750, not an expensive problem to fix (as long as drum and fark are still ok), but I was really looking forward to riding my new toy before I had to pull her apart :D
If anyone has any experience in this area please share :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 13, 2004 - 04:19 AM

Hamish.... It's pretty common... It happened to me too. My fifth gear cracked in half... You've got to repair the tranny... Major bucks... Sorry to hear the bad news..

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 13, 2004 - 04:22 AM

Wow you've got bad luck! :)

Same thing has happened to me on my '99 and to a friend with an '01. The dogs get rounded off and the slots get ramped so they slip out of gear under load. It's about $200 in parts (probably 2 or 3 gears plus seals and gaskets) but it is a pain because you have to split the cases. It may be a little more money if any of the shift forks are bent. If there is galling on the shift forks I would replace them while you're in there. Not difficult or extremely expensive but time consuming. This seems to happen after a LOT of miles so keep that in mind.

• Hamish

Posted February 13, 2004 - 10:16 AM

Thanks guys.. I'll at least hit the dealer up for some cheap/free parts. I'd rather do the job myself that let their techs fix it. When my zxr did it, i just gave the gears to my mate with a milling machine and he re-cut the dog faces.. good as new. We'll better than new actually cause you can back cut them on a better angle. Starting to suspect the odometer reading of 5000km's .

• 426Woodsguy

Posted February 13, 2004 - 10:58 AM

Just wondering-
Do you actually have to spend a lot of time in 5th gear for this to happen?
Probably a dumb question but the only time I hit 5th is connecting trails with logging roads and never under much torque.

• captain_S

Posted February 13, 2004 - 01:27 PM

Hamish,from bribane!,sounds like you need straight cut gears loon,either that or the gearbox from a john deere :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 13, 2004 - 04:34 PM

I wondered why I crashed today, Friday the 13th :)

• Hamish

Posted February 13, 2004 - 07:33 PM

Just wondering-
Do you actually have to spend a lot of time in 5th gear for this to happen?
Probably a dumb question but the only time I hit 5th is connecting trails with logging roads and never under much torque.

Happens as soon as you attempt any form of acceleration :)
Need 5th heaps. Reason I bought the 426 was so I could ride it from home to the places I ride at, so I didnt have the lug the yz250 2T around in the trailer. The dealer has agreed to come to the party with the parts which is good, as I wouldnt want them work on my bike anyway. Good time to give her a bit of a freshen up :D Any australian members got any idea what a YZ450 cam is worth??

• blue_beast_wins

Posted February 13, 2004 - 09:20 PM

yeah, cost me about 250 bucks about a year and a half ago, dunno about now maybee Yamaha have caught on to the money scheme.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted February 13, 2004 - 09:51 PM

Only I was stupid enough to buy a bike on Friday the 13th :D Test ride went fine, but 15 min after I owned it 5th gear no longer existed :D Suspected rounded out dogs. Is this a common thing for 2001 wr's or was I just unlucky?? Been there done that with my zxr750, not an expensive problem to fix (as long as drum and fark are still ok), but I was really looking forward to riding my new toy before I had to pull her apart :D
If anyone has any experience in this area please share :D

Check this thread out, might help http://www.thumperta...true#Post914473 been through all the gearbox drama's, hey i was born on friday the 13'th so back off !! :) :D

• yamaha.dude

Posted February 14, 2004 - 03:03 AM

I paid AU $131 for my cam, and exchanged the shims with the dealer...

Sorry to hear about the gearbox drama... You should be able to get the parts from the dealer and that will make it a labour only thing... At least you know if you do it, it will be done right... I hope you have the manual... that will be really helpful if you are going to rip into the guts of the bike...

Good luck,

David

• Hamish

Posted February 16, 2004 - 02:36 AM

I have a YZ manual, gearbox should be the same, apart from different ratios of coarse. The damage is 4 gears and 1 selector fork. Took the opertunity to completely remove the rear suspension and swingarm for a re-grease. Just in time by the looks of it. Didnt feel like lashing out more $$$ for another pivot works kit...just did the 2 banger.

Hamish

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.