Rekluse issues on wr450s

16 replies to this topic
  • ozbogan

Posted March 17, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Put the exp 3.0 into my 2013 wr450. It was installed correct and the install gap was set correct. After break in it kept slipping so I would re-adjust the cable tension to allow 1/8" lever gain until the point I had no adjustment left on the cable. When I took it home the friction plates were glazed and now need replacement. Any ideas what's causing this? Bike is stock

Edited by ozbogan, March 17, 2015 - 06:45 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 17, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Possible causes:

1. you are not down shifting when you go under heavy load, but staying in too high of a gear at too low of an rpm. You can't do this with a stock EXP. It will slip.

2. you have the wrong springs, so it engages at too high of an rpm, causing the clutch to slip at lower rpms

3. you have cheap oil. Using top of the line oil make a big difference with the EXP disc. 100% synthetic, preferable double-ester type

4. you started with slightly glazed fibers

How are the steel? Do they have any warping or bluing ?

I had to go with heavy wedges and silver (lightest) springs in order to prevent nearly all slipping.

It will still slip at very low rpms on steep climbs, because my final drive is 14/50.

• ozbogan

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:13 PM

It was high rpm slip, clutch pack was in spec before installation. Possibly lugged it once or twice but surely it is not that sensitive.(it only lasted 2 hrs before burning up) I used the springs it came with and the wr setting. Oil is shell rotella t. Never had a problem with it before. I'm lost as to what's the cause, guess I'll be looking for a refund

• iggs

Posted March 17, 2015 - 08:32 PM

What have Rekluse tech support suggested?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:36 AM

It sounds like you were missing one clutch plate

• barkbuster

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:25 AM

I had the same problem that's why mine is sitting on the shelf
I got a hydraulic clutch and I like it a lot better

• ozbogan

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:19 PM

I had the same problem that's why mine is sitting on the shelf
I got a hydraulic clutch and I like it a lot better

After a bit of research I've found rekluses and yamahas can be hit and miss

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Call Utah Joe at Rekluse if you want to solve it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Juman5

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Do you have just the Exp 3.0 or the Core EXP?  The one knock on the EXP alone is that you're removing clutch plates in order to fit the EXP ring.

I went with the Core EXP 3.0 and quite like the set up.   I've got it set such that I need to give the lever a tiny clutch blip on heavy up shifts, but the benefit is that I maintain compression braking.  If you rode my bike you wouldn't know the Rekluse was there except for the fact that you can start with the clutch lever out and it's pretty hard to stall, even deliberately.

As far as oil goes, I've had three Rekluse clutches all with Rotella T and never had an issue.

(Edited for error)

Edited by Juman5, March 19, 2015 - 02:36 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 18, 2015 - 08:02 PM

The EXP disc does not have clutch lever free play

The EXP Core does have free play in the lever

• DRZ04

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:24 PM

You need to call Rekluse tech support. They are very helpful. I had a 2.0 in my DRZ435 with a lot of engine work. They make them for the stock bike not a modified bike with a great deal of additional power. They worked with me through spring changes and wedge changes until it finally worked the way it was suppose to. I put one on my 2013 WR450f and it was spot on right away. No mods just adjust the cable free play completely out and go.

• ozbogan

Posted March 18, 2015 - 09:50 PM

You need to call Rekluse tech support. They are very helpful. I had a 2.0 in my DRZ435 with a lot of engine work. They make them for the stock bike not a modified bike with a great deal of additional power. They worked with me through spring changes and wedge changes until it finally worked the way it was suppose to. I put one on my 2013 WR450f and it was spot on right away. No mods just adjust the cable free play completely out and go.

I know its a good product when its working but for me that's not good enough. My bike is stock, now I've shredded a few friction plates in my motor on the initial install. I'm not going to keep putting friction plate material trough my motor until their $400 clutch works. Don't you think It should work 1st time? I had a z-start pro in a different bike which had a few problems early on also. 

Edited by ozbogan, March 18, 2015 - 10:12 PM.

Posted March 19, 2015 - 04:59 AM

If you want to get to the problem call Rekluse. They are very easy to work with and will figure out the issue. I've had 7 of these over the years and only had an issue with two not having the correct gap after install. One was due to the wrong spring in the kit, the other having incorrect spacer discs. All of the kits including ones I've installed on my friends bike have worked without issues. Also, 6 of the 10 kits were on yamaha's without any issues.

• rah7777777

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:22 AM

On my 06 with EXP 3.0 there is no lever free play... None.

But if you rev it, the ball of the lever jumps back a few mm like described in instructions.

I love the Rekluse!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 19, 2015 - 02:26 PM

If you have free play in the lever, there is your problem...............

• Juman5

Posted March 19, 2015 - 02:33 PM

My bad, I thought that the free play requirement was the same for the non-Core 3.0 as well.  I must have read that wrong when I was looking up the differences.

• Ron W

Posted March 19, 2015 - 06:31 PM

I have the Z-Start Pro in my 05 Wr450. I used the recommended set up, but had slipping at high rpm.

I installed 3 of their carbon steel balls and stopped the slipping.

I absolutely love my Rekluse.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.