2013 yz450 breather hose

3 replies to this topic
  • MikeJunior

Posted March 17, 2015 - 01:00 PM

So I did some research on head breather hose relocation, which lead me to go look at my bike. I pulled of the breather hose at the top of the head and found very fine dirt particles in the hose. I have not taken the valve cover off at all yet so I'm not sure if any dirt has collected in the head. I searched a lot but I was not able to find a definite answer as to what the best way is to reroute the breather hose on a 2010-13 yz450 is. So what is the best way to do it, and should I be worried about the dirt in my breather hose?

• yzUSMCf

Posted March 19, 2015 - 07:57 AM

I would do something about it I put a filter on the end of my breather on my 2014 450 because I had dirt getting up into the valve cover. Just don't kink the tube or put too small of a filter on it or you start blowing gaskets on your engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1426780528442.jpg
  • 1426780557956.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeJunior

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I would do something about it I put a filter on the end of my breather on my 2014 450 because I had dirt getting up into the valve cover. Just don't kink the tube or put too small of a filter on it or you start blowing gaskets on your engine.

yeah I'm gonna have to do something about it, I took my valve cover off to check the valve clearances and there were a few sand particles in that basin under the breather hose also that is shown in your first picture. Ive never seen any sand in my oil filter, which some people say theirs gets packed with sand. I think mine may have come from falling in sand and the bike stalling but idk. There is a port on my airbox between the air filter and throttle body, but idk if I want to be shooting crank gases and oil into my throttle body. I might either do a T-design or just throw a filter on it like you did.

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:29 AM

The best approach, IMO, is to insert a T fitting in the existing hose just after it leaves the cam cover, about 2-4" downstream, and leave the original hose right where it is.  Then add a second hose running to some higher point, whether it's to the rear under the seat, into the air box, or whatever.  The second hose will become the path of least resistance whenever the lower hose tries to lift anything up the 2 feet to the cam box, and having two branches will reduce the airflow in both of them to half what it was in the single hose.  Meanwhile, ejected oil and such will be able to run downhill and out as intended.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.