Does Carmicheal deserve a boo?

25 replies to this topic
  • yzernie

Posted February 12, 2002 - 09:21 AM

For years we have watched one man run away with almost every race. Now that there is some actual racing going on, there are going to be incidents like this one with Travis and Ricky. For those of you that are old enough, think back to when Ricky Johnson and David Bailey were going at it. They were on the same team and still working each other.

Close racing and plastic rubbing is going to happen. There are certain situations when it is acceptable and others when it is not. If it happens to your favorite rider (or mine) we don't like it. If our favorite rider has to stuff someone to take the lead then it is ok.

These guys ride at a level we can only dream about. I wish I could be as fast as the slowest guy in the main event!!!!

Ernie

• Merfman

Posted February 12, 2002 - 09:32 AM

Yzernie brought up a good classic battle... the ones that stick in my mind were Damon and Chicken. Wasn't it Vegas where Damon put Chicken in the cheap seats? There was no doubt about the intention in that one!

As far as RC and TP...... TP summed it up... "that's racing"

I'm rooting for TP this year, even though he's riding at YT but I'd never consider booing Ricky.

One last thing, yzernie also mentioned he'd like to be as fast as the slowest guy out there.. we (Colorado) had such a rider a few years ago. He ran roughshod over all the local competition and there was NO one who was even close. I remember watching him get lapped after 5 laps of a main. The National-level riders are simply from another planet.

Merf

• yzernie

Posted February 13, 2002 - 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Merfman:
I remember watching him get lapped after 5 laps of a main

He still made the main and I would still like to be as fast as he is!!!! :)

Ernie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXOldtimer

Posted February 13, 2002 - 08:13 PM

One last thing, yzernie also mentioned he'd like to be as fast as the slowest guy out there.. we (Colorado) had such a rider a few years ago. He ran roughshod over all the local competition and there was NO one who was even close. I remember watching him get lapped after 5 laps of a main. The National-level riders are simply from another planet.

Merf[/QB]

A few summers ago I was at Washougal practicing, I thought I was turning some pretty good laps, when all of a sudden there was this "EXPLOSION" of sound and a red blurrrrr, it just scared the beeeegeessusss out of me I didn't know what happened. Before I completed one more lap I got lapped by this person again, it was Jason McCormick on a 125.

• mxaddict

Posted February 14, 2002 - 04:06 PM

Anybody that says RC took Travis out and uses that as an excuse to boo him proves their own ignorance. Travis tried to cut back into an occupied line and tipped over when they touched bars. That was not a takeout, and if you think so you don't race. Now, a take out is what Travis did to Nathan Ramsey a couple of weeks earlier in the last lap, and he admitted it but said he had to do what he had to do. I don't see people up in arms over that move, which cost Ramsey a podium. Anyone who has watched RC since his first year knows he isn't a dirty rider...he has never needed to be since he was usually just much faster. Carmichael is simply a blue-collar kind of guy, not as skilled as some but with unreal determination and a complete focus on competition. As the sport grows, more and more fans are of the 'casual' variety, not completely understanding the sport but enjoying the spectacle. Pastrana is perfect for these folks as he doesn't understand the word 'shy' and loves to entertain beyond just racing. RC simply isn't that kind of person, and never will be. But his effort, determination and results warrant more respect than he got at Indy. If K-dub had RC's mentality he'd win everything.

As far as the 'slow' pros, Jeff Dement, one time factory KTM rider and usual back-of-the-packer in SX, lived here and I watched him at many local races on off-weekends. He would typically lap every one of the local pros except 1 or 2 in a short 6 lap moto. He would do things on the bike and take obstacles in ways we never even imagined. Watching him make local studs look like special olympics candidates on the track was awesome, and thinking of how fast the top few guys must go to lap him was inconceivable. The speed these guys can carry is ridiculous.

• IBWFO

Posted February 14, 2002 - 07:13 PM

MXAddict and others have stated it quite well.
The tape and many photos, along with Pastrana himself tell the story. Travis even said he had trouble with that turn.
The last 7 years or so have been sooo boring with MC winning every year that I quit watching 1st place and watched 2nd on back.
TP is a great PR guy, and that gets the crowd going. Let's face it, LaRocco is no PR guy, but this isn't about PR, it's about racing, and thats what I go to see.
One things for sure, this is going to be a great season!

D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.