xr650l will not start HELP

8 replies to this topic
  • combineman

Posted February 12, 2004 - 05:33 PM

okay, I have a 93' xr650l that will start fine some times and then it won't. It will turn over just fine, but there is no spark. When this started happening I would search out all the wiring and connections, and then try to start it and it would just fire right up. So, the last time it happened I decided to try unplugging only the CDI box and then plugging it back in. PRESTO, it fired up and ran just fine. So I am curious, do I have a CDI box going bad? Will it get worse? Or is something else going on? Please help, this is frustrating. Thanks in advance. Lance

• AzMtnThumper

Posted February 13, 2004 - 06:54 PM

Is there some oxidation or corrosion on the connection that you unplugged???? I can see why you are frustrated. :)

• combineman

Posted February 13, 2004 - 07:56 PM

I wish there was but no. All of the connections were clean. Especially the CDI box conn. I started the bike 4 times today and it started fine every time.
:D :)

• michaeln

Posted February 14, 2004 - 03:14 AM

I wish there was but no. All of the connections were clean. Especially the CDI box conn. I started the bike 4 times today and it started fine every time.
:) :D

Next time there's no spark, check to see if it is a problem with the spark plug boot itself. Take it off of the plug wire (I believe it screws off), then see if you can get spark directly out of tthe end of the plug wire. If you can, then cut off 1/4" of the plug wire and screw the connector back on and check for spark again.

There is a resistor in those plug boots and sometimes they get intermittent before they fail completely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • combineman

Posted February 14, 2004 - 08:37 AM

the boot and resistor and coil are new :)

• slip

Posted February 14, 2004 - 10:40 AM

I don't thinks it's the CDI. When they usually go bad, that's it, no go after they do. But there are two other parts to the iginition that could be your problem. The pickup coil which tells the CDI unit when to fire a spark, and the source coil which generates 100 or so volts AC to feed into the primary of the high voltage coil used to produce the 15,000/20,000 volts needed for a spark to jump across the gap of a spark plug. Here's a web page to help in troubleshooting this components. CDI troubleshooting :)

• MotoChris521

Posted February 15, 2004 - 04:36 AM

I sold my 94 L to a friend and two months later his CDI took a dump. :cry:It's possible your's did also. :) :D

• da650

Posted June 28, 2007 - 05:58 PM

I have a 94 and it would not start after sitting 1 week. I would beginning checking the systen then it would start without cause and restart during rides with no problem until the next week. Dealer said the CDI either works or not. Eventially it got worse stalling on the freeway until I kicked the battery box like a horse and it would run again. I checked for shorts in the connections and removed the CDI and smacked it on the ground. Eventually I replaced the CDI and never had the problem again!! Pricy but that solved the problem.

On another note, did you know there is a fuse in the spark plug cap? I blew mine twice, probably because of the CDI failing. I wrapped foil around the blown fuse to run again.
DA

• martinfan30

Posted June 29, 2007 - 06:41 AM

I don't thinks it's the CDI. When they usually go bad, that's it, no go after they do. But there are two other parts to the iginition that could be your problem. The pickup coil which tells the CDI unit when to fire a spark, and the source coil which generates 100 or so volts AC to feed into the primary of the high voltage coil used to produce the 15,000/20,000 volts needed for a spark to jump across the gap of a spark plug. Here's a web page to help in troubleshooting this components. CDI troubleshooting :thumbsup:

on the "L" it is a DC system. The "R" uses AC.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.