Electric fan?

11 replies to this topic
  • YFZ439

Posted February 12, 2004 - 05:29 PM

I'm making a street supermoto with a 2004 WR450 and was a little worried if stuck in traffic for any length of time about it over heating? Has anyone ever put on a electric fan. I see KTM has a nice kit for their bikes, wonder if it would work for the WR as well? Thanks for any advice

• ddialogue

Posted February 12, 2004 - 06:08 PM

I'm making a street supermoto with a 2004 WR450 and was a little worried if stuck in traffic for any length of time about it over heating? Has anyone ever put on a electric fan. I see KTM has a nice kit for their bikes, wonder if it would work for the WR as well? Thanks for any advice

Do you have a link for the KTM fan kit? I'd be interested in taking a look at it. I'd like to have one when I ride the dunes.

• BEAN329

Posted February 12, 2004 - 06:10 PM

2 things, a computer case fan should have the proper voltage + or - 12v DC, but getting dirt or mud inside may be a problem. You may want to inspect KTM's offering and adapt it. I think it's a great idea even better if you can put a temp sensor somewhere in the cooling system.

• gfergtr74

Posted February 12, 2004 - 09:18 PM

The KTM fan will work. I sold one to a gentleman with an 03 450 for the same reason. It a little modification to fit but all in all worked well. Be warned it is not cheap. The computer fans as mentioned above will work as well and are less money by far. I think personally I would try the computer fan first and set it in a few different locations to see what worked best.

• ddialogue

Posted February 13, 2004 - 05:07 AM

The KTM fan will work. I sold one to a gentleman with an 03 450 for the same reason. It a little modification to fit but all in all worked well. Be warned it is not cheap. The computer fans as mentioned above will work as well and are less money by far. I think personally I would try the computer fan first and set it in a few different locations to see what worked best.

Are we talking $100? $200? :)

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted February 13, 2004 - 05:12 AM

computer fan.radio shack.$20.lots of drz guys have been running htme for many many miles.no problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted February 13, 2004 - 05:37 AM

computer fan.radio shack.$20.lots of drz guys have been running htme for many many miles.no problems.

What about water resistance? I wouldn't think a computer fan would be designed to resist water.... :)

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted February 13, 2004 - 06:10 AM

they seem to hold up fine.

• captain_S

Posted February 13, 2004 - 12:13 PM

Try a fan from a trials bike(never knew a computer fan would run on 12v)but always knew they were the perfect size for the job!

• gfergtr74

Posted February 13, 2004 - 01:07 PM

Are we talking $100? $200? :)

I can't remember for sure but the 150-200 mark seems right.

• YFZ439

Posted February 13, 2004 - 02:20 PM

The fan kit is in the KTM parts book and it is thermostatically controled. I was quoted $100 for the kit from the dealer.
Thanks for the tips, i'm probably going to try the KTM kit :)

• BEAN329

Posted February 13, 2004 - 04:38 PM

$100 beats overheating if needed. One other thing about overheating check the clearance between the header pipe and the water pump housing. After a couple of crashes mine is very close.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.