Yz450f spuddering when it gets hot?

3 replies to this topic
  • Arc29

Posted March 15, 2015 - 11:01 AM

I was riding one day turn the bike off in middle of trail for a break.. Kicked it like crazy ended up pushing it a mile through a equestrian center wher I wasn't supposed to be.. Anyways after that I replaced the coil and stator and the bike would start it would run fine for about 5-10minutes when it got to temp or hot it would start this spuddering.. When you crank the throttle it dosent want to raise in rmps and make this repative noise.. I was told it could be the cdi box "brain box"??? Has anyone heard of this problem anything like it?

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2015 - 11:19 AM

If it "sputters" when hot, and it's an electrical problem, it's rather more likely the stator is faulty.  The CDI's are pretty robust, and don't often fail.  A check of resistance values per the manual while hot might show it up right away.  If not, try tapping on the outside of the flywheel cover area while testing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Arc29

Posted March 15, 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for answering... The stator is brand new yamaha part.. How do you do that type of test on the bike?

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2015 - 07:55 PM

Details are in the manual.  Have one yet?

If not, look at the top of the index in the YZ450 forum, open "Common Threads", and go to near the bottom of the second post.  There's a link to real, free PDF manuals from Yamaha.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.