Won't start :(

11 replies to this topic
  • YamahaRideOne

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Hey,

So i have a 2006 WR450F.

it was having trouble starting and staying running a wile back. and it now will not start at all (but it will crank)

So its basically been sitting idle for the better part of 3 years. and i will admit when i got it i was new to bikes,..... and i know i didn't winterize it or maintain it like i should have.

here is where i'm at with my trouble shooting, the plug that was in it was all kinds of dry black, and i have a new spark plug, i do have spark when i ground it to the block and hit the e-start.

i cleaned the carbs out before winter and they could probably be done again but i did have it start and run for short time before it would die after i cleaned them. and the carb is getting fuel it drains fuel if i open the drain on bottom of carb

the air filter is dirty but i'm sure there is worse and i will be getting a new filter. (but pulling filter and trying to start didnt help)

also i tossed the compression tester on and the first time when i kicked it over it stopped at 60psi. and then when i tried a second time with the e-start it only got up to maybe just over 30psi. i tried putting a little bit of oil in to see if it would bring the psi up.... and it wouldn't even go up to the 60 i got first. (i would do it wile its hot but i cant get it to turn over.

so. im a little lost in what to do. i can pull my carbs and clean them again (really good) and toss a new filter on but i have a feeling the filter isnt the problem. 

also the fuel hoses are a little harder then id like them to be but i dont want to go and order up new everything until i find the problem

top end rebuild? valve problems? 

any help would be great id like to actually ride the thing this year.

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Probably just a plugged pilot jet.

• toten

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:33 PM

It's always hard to get a good compression test on a thumper, the engine tries to stop turning. Do you feel good resistance when you kick it over?

I agree that it's probably a plugged pilot jet. You might have some luck getting it to fire using a little starting fluid, I'm not sure how bad an idea that is though. Another similar option is to give it a fair number of squirts with the AP and that might work (if the AP isn't plugged... mine's a little plugged and I need to clean it). 

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 13, 2015 - 09:33 PM

Cool ill pull the carb tomorrow and see what i come up with

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 14, 2015 - 03:15 AM

Replace the pilot with a new one, and clear the passage above the pilot iwth fishing line and spray cleaner

If you see any green corrosion, you will need to pull the carb and soak / clean it in PinSol (after stripping it)

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 14, 2015 - 12:06 PM

hey so the AP was clogged. i had to order a new rubber piece for the AP since it is worn right out. would a clogged AP cause it not to start?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnCameron

Posted March 14, 2015 - 12:18 PM

hey so the AP was clogged. i had to order a new rubber piece for the AP since it is worn right out. would a clogged AP cause it not to start?

i think it only would when it's hot but maybe, I don't know anything about carbs

• ballisticexchris

Posted March 14, 2015 - 12:22 PM

Replace the pilot with a new one, and clear the passage above the pilot iwth fishing line and spray cleaner
If you see any green corrosion, you will need to pull the carb and soak / clean it in PinSol (after stripping it)

Every once in a while I look at these technical threads and you comment with great ideas and tips. Fishing line is a great suggestion! Thanks Bill.

Edited by ballisticexchris, March 14, 2015 - 12:22 PM.

• stainless601

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:54 PM

This model is bad about voltage drop. Either charge the battery, or kick it to start. The electric starter causes a voltage drop, and a weak battery will not have enough voltage to fire the ignition.
I've seen them crank seeming well, but a better battery, or kicking it will succeed in starting. Asuming you've got fuel and ignition.

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 15, 2015 - 07:42 AM

Well i have a new battery. Im waiting for some parts to come in. so hopefully when they show up and it goes back together that she will fire

• ThumpMe

Posted March 18, 2015 - 05:40 AM

REAL hard to get an accurate compression reading on these bikes as in order to get an accurate reading your throttle has to be wide open so the motor can pull in all the air it can. Problem is if you do this it is almost impossible to kick the motor over, the electric starter will not do it either, and due to the use of the exhaust cams that allow you to kick start the bike over some compression will be lost there as well.

Chances are as already stated above that it is a dirty pilot jet and air passage hole under the slide.

• YamahaRideOne

Posted March 27, 2015 - 01:19 PM

It starts and runs (even runs off choke) i took it out down the ally, and it shifts to second.... then i run out of room haha. i am not fully sure what caused it, but i put new AP diaphragm it wouldnt start but i then unhooked the kill switch and she fires right up... kinda but it did. then i plugged it back in and she has ran every time since... on 2nd or 3rd kick

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.