YZ backwards engine disscusion

11 replies to this topic
  • willmud743

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:07 AM

For the last couple Yamaha decided flip the engine around. The exhaust and injection valves have switched sides. With this they had to add about 8 inches to the exhaust for it to wrap completely around the cylinder. And on the earlier ones models it did a loop behind the rear shock. They air-box and gas-tank had to change places. The gas-tank is now on the outside of the frame and it looks to be mounted on the subframe. What are your thoughts about it? Might it be the next aluminum frame or is it just something for Yamaha can get attention for?

• DR.billZ

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Yamaha tends to lead the way with a lot of ideas. But usually the first generation of what they do isn't the best. It gets refined over the years.
Monoshock comes to mind.

Edited by DR.billZ, March 13, 2015 - 07:16 AM.

• ericz103

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Well some people aren't sold on aluminum frames but...

but I think it is somewhere between the two scenarios you described. It can help engine design, hence the new yz both 250 and 450s being very strong. Mass centralization is real, and has its benefits. Yamaha is sorting through the handling challenges it is working.

Probably not the next revolution in dirtbikes, but hey not near as gimmicky as dual exhausts,cough honda, cough.

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:20 AM

The new ones are suppose to be going well. It also gives a straighter shot for the ports and makes good power.

• DR.billZ

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:21 AM

Dual exhaust. What were/are they thinking!

• ericz103

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:21 AM

Yamaha tends to lead the way with a lot of ideas. But usually the first generation of what they do isn't the best. It gets refined over the years.
Monoshock comes to mind.

usually like that for any bright idea, yamaha or not. dirtbike or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cjjeepercreeper

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:26 AM

Dual exhaust. What were/are they thinking!

Exactly my thought the first time I saw one.  The only benefit I can see other than purported better flow (which has yet to be proven) is it looks cool from the rear. :rolleyes:   But...more weight. :cripple:

• DR.billZ

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:29 AM

It's for 'balance'. So why not add a little weight to the other side by another means by not costing your customers a huge expense if they need to replace said exhaust? Oh, it's for looks then. Oh, I got it...

• Monk

Posted March 13, 2015 - 07:43 AM

It's going to be hard and harder in the future to make bikes lighter. Making bikes "feel" lighter is goal. Yamaha has done a excellent job of this. I think Husaberg was on the right track with their 70° engine but didn't carry the development. Yamaha has picked up where they left off...

• LovingOffroadPain

Posted March 13, 2015 - 08:01 AM

It's for 'balance'. So why not add a little weight to the other side by another means by not costing your customers a huge expense if they need to replace said exhaust? Oh, it's for looks then. Oh, I got it...

I've ridden the '15 Yamaha 450, it handles very well.  But I haven't ridden the other modern four strokes for comparison, I just know that my CR 500 AF is faster.  And cheaper to maintain.

• Fade

Posted March 13, 2015 - 08:20 AM

their 10-13 yz450f's were known to be fast in a straight line, and that's about it.... 

I would think with the success of the yz250f lately, and how well it's been reviewed, they're definitely getting somewhere with it.....how well that's translated to the 450, i do not know. (if someone wants to loan me one that'd be great :D )

• torkd14

Posted March 13, 2015 - 08:28 AM

The air box up high in the front was a very good idea, I've noticed the filter life between cleanings has greatly lengthened from my '06 YZ450. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.