shift shaft removal

5 replies to this topic
  • Stayinthirsty

Posted March 11, 2015 - 03:41 PM

Bike is an 10 yz450f. Previous owner bent the crap out of the shift shaft. I'm having trouble getting it out to replace it. It slides very easy for a 1/2 inch then it hits considerable resistance I assume this is where the bend is. Anyone have any tips or tricks to try getting it out?

• zotis777

Posted March 11, 2015 - 03:54 PM

Bike is an 10 yz450f. Previous owner bent the crap out of the shift shaft. I'm having trouble getting it out to replace it. It slides very easy for a 1/2 inch then it hits considerable resistance I assume this is where the bend is. Anyone have any tips or tricks to try getting it out?

Pull it until it stops, then I would (idk if it's the best idea, but best I can think of)

Use this method to bend it back enough to pull it out

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1426118076.744620.jpg

• Stayinthirsty

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Pull it until it stops, then I would (idk if it's the best idea, but best I can think of)

Use this method to bend it back enough to pull it out

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1426118076.744620.jpg

Went out and gave that idea a whirl. I think the only way it would work is with heat. I couldn't get the shaft to budge. That shaft is damn stout for being so small in diameter. Great idea and gives a lot of leverage. Thanks for the response.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zotis777

Posted March 12, 2015 - 04:39 AM

Went out and gave that idea a whirl. I think the only way it would work is with heat. I couldn't get the shaft to budge. That shaft is damn stout for being so small in diameter. Great idea and gives a lot of leverage. Thanks for the response.

Do you have a new one? Cut the old one

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2015 - 07:07 AM

Cut the old shaft off.  It won't be easy unless you use a high speed abrasive cut-off wheel at 15K RPM or so.  You can either cut off the lever end on the left, or push it to the right as far as possible and cut the internal lever off the right end of the shaft and take it out the other way.

• Stayinthirsty

Posted March 14, 2015 - 12:52 AM

Cut the old shaft off. It won't be easy unless you use a high speed abrasive cut-off wheel at 15K RPM or so. You can either cut off the lever end on the left, or push it to the right as far as possible and cut the internal lever off the right end of the shaft and take it out the other way.

Thanks, I was just about to ask if it would slide out the other way since I can't get to the bend from the left. Time to bust the Dremel out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.