Exhaust Options / Questions

10 replies to this topic
  • JMundy

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:26 AM

I am starting to weigh my options for a new exhaust for my 2007 WR450F.    Currently I have a 2008 YZ450 header and muffler on there now and I am pretty happy with it.  Way better than stock WR Exhaust, but I do need a spark arrestor for it.  Trying to decide on which option below is the best route.

1. Get a PMB spark arrestor for the stock YZ exhaust.  Pretty cheap overall at $130 plus rivet gun ect.....

2. Shop that sponsors me can get me a Yoshi slip on for the YZ header for $230.  So $100 more than the PMB and im pretty sure I can sell the 2008 muffler for that or close too so probably a wash.

3. Shop that sponsors me can get me a Dr.D complete system for $380. So $250 more than the PMB but i figure I can sell my complete YZ exhaust for $150 or close so out of pocket $100 for full system

So my question really is which is worth it?  I know Dr.D exhausts work awesome on the YZF bikes but is it much better on a WR over a YZ exhaust?  

• stevethe

Posted March 11, 2015 - 12:58 PM

Stick with the 08 header.

How come the shop that sponsors you doesn't get you the pmb deal. I would knock out all the stock YZ baffles while I'm at it.
Or Yosh.
Any of those will work.

Edited by stevethe, March 11, 2015 - 12:59 PM.

• JMundy

Posted March 11, 2015 - 02:06 PM

Stick with the 08 header.

How come the shop that sponsors you doesn't get you the pmb deal. I would knock out all the stock YZ baffles while I'm at it.
Or Yosh.
Any of those will work.

So you would do either Yosh or PMB, but definatly stick with stock yz header?

Ya i asked on PMB but since they dont have buying agreements or something with them they wouldnt get much of a discount on it

• stevethe

Posted March 11, 2015 - 02:25 PM

So you would do either Yosh or PMB, but definatly stick with stock yz header?
Ya i asked on PMB but since they dont have buying agreements or something with them they wouldnt get much of a discount on it

They should get a deal. I would thank.
I have three WR450's all use the 08-09 YZ header with titanium 4.1's on them.
But basically all they are is a straight through silencer like all the rest. You could do the same with a PMB. You also might not get much for the YZ muffler.
Half a dozen of one three quarter dozen the other? The bike might not know much of a difference.

• JMundy

Posted March 11, 2015 - 02:29 PM

They should get a deal. I would thank.
I have three WR450's all use the 08-09 YZ header with titanium 4.1's on them.
But basically all they are is a straight through silencer like all the rest. You could do the same with a PMB. You also might not get much for the YZ muffler.
Half a dozen of one three quarter dozen the other? The bike might not know much of a difference.

thanks for the info man!  Ive been reading all day on here and not much info on this subject, but from what ive found what you said sounds best, either pmb or yoshi.  I do like how the yz is short and doesnt stick out.  

now to find info on how to remove all the cones inside to see if i want to go that way

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2015 - 03:34 PM

The PMB will be quieter too....

• JMundy

Posted March 11, 2015 - 03:55 PM

Ive been reading that removing the "ice cream" cones in the 08-09 muffler will affect backpressure and rob low end power?

any input on that?

• stevethe

Posted March 11, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Ive been reading that removing the "ice cream" cones in the 08-09 muffler will affect backpressure and rob low end power?

any input on that?

Sure aside from not listening to a bunch of yack yacks you can tune the removable end cone on the PMB. I try not to listen to yack yacks but most all the perfomance pipes are straight through. I didn't notice any low end loss from the larger headpipe.

• stevethe

Posted March 11, 2015 - 04:32 PM

By the way when you remove those baffles from the YZ pipe I understand you can use them to mold nice cookies.

• JMundy

Posted March 11, 2015 - 05:55 PM

Sure aside from not listening to a bunch of yack yacks you can tune the removable end cone on the PMB. I try not to listen to yack yacks but most all the perfomance pipes are straight through. I didn't notice any low end loss from the larger headpipe.

Haha, ya true most pipes are straight through. Good point

Thanks for all the help

• Summit

Posted March 14, 2015 - 06:45 AM

The gytr pipe is free flowing, huge end, and comes with a spark arrestor. It is a bit loud though

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.